Washington, D.C. ā Alaskan Congressman Don Young lauded the Supreme Court today for their decision to overturn the D.C. Gun Ban this morning and uphold the Second Amendment Rights of citizens of the United Statesā capital. Rep. Young had previously weighed in on the case by signing an amicus curiae brief that affirmed an individualās right to keep and bear arms and urged the Supreme Court to overturn the ban. He was joined by a majority of members in the U.S. Congress. āI am incredibly pleased today that finally, the freedoms created by the Second Amendment will apply to all citizens in our Nationās capital. The original intent of the Second Amendment was to protect each individualās right to keep and bear arms,ā said Rep. Young. āThe Districtās gun ban is a blatant violation of this right and the purpose of the Supreme Court is to uphold all citizensā rights, including the protection of our Second Amendment rights. In Alaska, close to two-thirds of citizens are proud gun owners; if the Supreme Court were to strike down our constitutional rights to own them in D.C., guns could be banned anywhere, including Alaska! āThe Constitution and our founding documents have served our country well for over 200 years. Throughout my career, Iāve joined with my colleagues in Congress to pass laws supporting Americanās Second Amendment rights, including those who live in Washington, D.C. These freedoms are among the most important that we enjoy as residents of the United States of America and I am a proud American.ā

More...