Thread: Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania Passes āLost or Stolenā Ordinance

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Postak Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania Passes āLost or Stolenā Ordinance

On Wednesday, June 3, the Borough of Wilkinsburg unanimously approved an ordinance that would require gun owners to report a lost or stolen firearm within a 24-hour period or face fines and possible imprisonment. The proposal now heads to the desk of Mayor John Thompson for his consideration.

More...

Collector & Enthusiast GreenBlood10's Avatar
    Feedback Score

One thing I have never understood about this law is the very fact that if someone broke into my house and stole my gun(s) I'm going to report it to the police anyways, because I'm gonna want the insurance money to buy another one! What's in the small print of this law that is causing all the stir???
    "It does not take a majority to prevail...but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Not sure. Because what if, by the time that you realized that they WERE stolen , it had been a few days..a week even?
    They have been working on this bill for a while..there was an OLD post on this with some discussion about this very matter

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

The entire premise of the law is flawed.... let's see, try this logic on for size:

Someone rapes your wife/girlfriend, and she doesn't report it, so we're gonna put her in jail for not reporting the rape?

Someone steals your dog (let's make it a "dangerous" pitbull), and you don't report it, you go to jail for not reporting it?

Someone steals your car, you are on vacation in Mexico, a week later you come home to find that your stolen car was used in a hit and run fatality, you didn't report it in time. YOU GO TO JAIL AND GET CHARGED WITH MURDER... sound fair?

Why on earth would you punish the victim of a crime?!?

Does that make any sense what so ever? We don't (or should not) punish the victims of crimes.

Mark

Collector & Enthusiast GreenBlood10's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Appreciate the insight, I was just asking. I always thought of this law in my own shoes without thinking about people that have larger collections than myself. I only have around 15 guns, and they are all in a gun cabinet right next to my TV so I look at them everyday. I would definitly notice the day they were gone. I'm not saying, because of this I'm in favor of it. For someone that has a larger collection and spread throughout their house (my grandfather for instance) He has so many guns he has trouble remembering where they are and he discovers one every once in a while. So he could easily be a victim in this bill. Thanks Mark and upgrayd
    "It does not take a majority to prevail...but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.