75-year-old Willie White was at home with his wife in Detroit, Mich., when at around 1:30 a.m., he heard a suspicious noise at a side door. Already on alert from the day before, when someone broke his window and fence, White retrieved an SKS rifle and went to investigate. When a burglar burst through the side door, White fired, killing the intruder. A police investigation revealed that the home invader was armed and that he likely had two accomplices.White made clear to local media that he didn’t relish having to use force, stating, “I feared for my life. I don’t feel good at all. I wish there was some other way it could have been handled.” White’s son, Noel, showed support for his father, saying of his actions, “I think it will protect a lot of people. I think people will think twice before they start kicking in doors, breaking into houses, stealing cars, preying on old people. It doesn’t guarantee you’re going to make it out of the situation.” White also remarked on the support he’s received from the community, noting, “The neighbors all told me they were glad it happened.”

More...