Doug Snarski and his girlfriend, Christina Lewis, were in Snarski’s Spokane, Wash. home at around 12:30 a.m., when an intruder armed with a shotgun and handgun broke in. Snarski immediately knew who was responsible; several hours earlier he and Lewis had acquired a restraining order against Lewis’ ex-boyfriend following a string of threats.After retrieving a pistol, Snarski called 911, positioned himself at the top of the home’s staircase, warned the criminal that he was armed and ordered him to leave.  The criminal refused, firing the shotgun and pistol up the stairs towards the couple. Snarski returned fire, mortally wounding the home invader. Neither Snarski or Lewis were injured during the attack.Local law enforcement officials have praised Snarski’s actions, with Deputy Craig Chamberlin of the Spokane County Sheriff’s Office stating, “His quick thinking most definitely saved both him and his girlfriend’s lives… He handled it perfect, from getting a restraining order to maintaining composure in an extremely stressful situation.” In a media interview following the incident, Snarski shared some advice, remarking, “I believe everyone should have some kind of pistol for their own protection, for your own safety… If I didn’t think like that I wouldn’t be here right now.”

More...