Gunco Forums banner

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
I'm buying a saiga 223. Can you shoot the 5.56 through it?

#8 ·
If I'm not mistaken, 5.56 is the .223.. Just depends on where it's made and boxed. Like the .308 vs. 7.62x51.(same thing). Chamber pressures might be a little different but should cycle.
There are differences, in both ammo and chambers, between both 5.56x45 NATO & .223 Remington and 7.62x51 NATO & .308 Winchester.

SAAMI specifically lists firing 5.56 in a gun chambered for .223 as unsafe. That is, guns with a SAAMI spec .223 chamber. Many guns marked .223 actually have Wylde, 5.56, or proprietary chambers (like the Mini-14).

Check out page 7 of:
http://www.saami.org/Publications/2006UnsafeCombinations.pdf

See also:

The Gun Zone -- SAAMI on 5.56 v. .223 Remington

The Gun Zone -- .30 Caliber Ammo

7.62x51mm NATO or 308 Winchester? What's the Difference?

#7 ·
There's actually a thread some place that shows an email from the manufacturer of the saiga. It specifically said that it WILL shoot 5.56 without any problem. All 5.56 rifles can shoot .223; but it isn't recommend that .223 rifles shoot 5.56. Saiga is a bit unique because it's a military weapon. It is chambered specifically for the 5.56. But because of import rules and such; they made the saiga .223 to be a "Sporter Rifle". And while it's not a rule; they basically stamped it .223 to be less menacing looking. 5.56 just "Sounds" military; even though it's just the european metric conversion. And yes, the 5.56 has higher pressure, and in some ammo, it's even slightly longer. But the saiga .223 was made for this stuff. And the good thing about the saiga; is because it's an AK-47, it also has no problem whatsoever shooting the steel case russian ammo like wolf, brown bear, and others.

#10 ·
If I'm not mistaken, 5.56 is the .223.. Just depends on where it's made and boxed. Like the .308 vs. 7.62x51.(same thing). Chamber pressures might be a little different but should cycle. But why the .223 ? You can have more knockdown power from the 7.62x39 or the 7.62x51..
WRONG
there are slight chamber differances in both see the above posts.

it may be a moot point regarding the sagia but is a very important point regarding many other rifles. so its important that incorect statments dont misslead anyone.

I cant shoot 5.56 in a few of my 223 guns it will blow primers.

on the 308 vs 7.62 there are chamber differances and pressure differances between the two. the out side dimensions of the actual brass are the same how ever as near as I can tell the bullet seating length and and the chambers it go into vary.

If Saiga says its ok then its OK however having a 5.56 chamber that allow 223 to be shot is not a great thing. most guns with 5.56 chambers dont shoot 223 as accurately.

I ahve one of those CFS STG 2000 kits in 223 Im wondering what the actual chamber is. they sold them as 223's I believe but who knows what the Rommy's did for a actual chamber.

#11 ·
on the 308 vs 7.62 there are chamber differances and pressure differances between the two. the out side dimensions of the actual brass are the same how ever as near as I can tell the bullet seating length and and the chambers it go into vary.
7.62 nato is actually speced to a lower pressure than .308 win, it kinda goes the other way in that one, not firing commercial .308 in weak guns like the .308 enfield and such.

#12 ·
7.62 nato is actually speced to a lower pressure than .308 win, it kinda goes the other way in that one, not firing commercial .308 in weak guns like the .308 enfield and such.
correct

however the specs are missleading as he way the military does it is differant the rounds are closer than one thinks. there is a really good discussion in the 308 conversion thread in calibur conversions. at first claance there is a bout 10,000 PSI differance but I belive that is missleading. either way one should be carefull shooting 308 in a 7.62 rifle.

some were I have a really good link on the differances

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.