Gunco Forums banner

SGM Rear Picatinny Mount ???

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  vintagemacdude 
#1 ·
Anyone tried and used this mount on their saiga? Its plastic, right? I'm guessing it replaces the rear sight. Does it attach with a screw on the back end? I'm looking for something like this and wondering if the plastic is a solid base to mount an optic to. Does it work well?

Help! Thanks in advance!

#6 ·
I have it for both my S12 and my S308. They both work fine. The rifle one holds zero quite well. Because its made of a plastic polymer, like those used for your mags, theres a bit of flex in it when using a heavy optic on it.

Lets face it, the Saiga is not a precision rifle nor is the shotgun either. However, with those rails, it shoots just fine for its intended range and purpose. Anything more accurate than that will put you in need of a different gun plus lots more money.

#7 ·
Why get that dumb little piece when you can just get one of those double weaver rails that bolt onto your stock scope mounting points?
(it locks onto the side of your rifle where the normal russian mounted scopes fit, and runs up over top of the rifle.)

You can fit a scope right ontop plus put a laser sight or flashlight on the side rail.

Although what sucks is you gotta take it off everytime you want to field strip the rifle.....but it takes like 10 seconds to get off.....you might need a hammer,lol, that sucker holds REAL tight, even without the bolts.

#8 ·
Why get that dumb little piece when you can just get one of those double weaver rails that bolt onto your stock scope mounting points?
(it locks onto the side of your rifle where the normal russian mounted scopes fit, and runs up over top of the rifle.)

You can fit a scope right ontop plus put a laser sight or flashlight on the side rail.

Although what sucks is you gotta take it off everytime you want to field strip the rifle.....but it takes like 10 seconds to get off.....you might need a hammer,lol, that sucker holds REAL tight, even without the bolts.
The SGM beryl rail hinges off the rear sight leaf mount. The only thing else holding it down is the rear stock screw. I've got it set up using a 1/4-20 thumb screw going into a screw insert in the stock. No tools required when field stripping. Plus it holds zero better than that double railed side mount and its guaranteed to line up straight down the bore centerline. Lastly, its also lower in profile than the side mount.

There are other beryl rails out there that are much better but for more money of course. Try, Krebs, DPH Arms, and Texas Weapons Systems. Those are all made of aluminum and include a quick release mechanism for field stripping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.