Gunco Forums banner

saiga76239 barrel crown check

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  barrel guy 
#1 ·
sorta new to the whole gun scene, i have a saiga 762 with chrome lined barrel. i put about 40 shots through it and decided to clean with the supplied rod and brush, just to run it through. and unfortunatly without reading i didn't take much care making sure i didn't mess up the crown on the barrel. i know stupid me. anyhow how do i check to verify the crown is not messed up..also should i use a special type cleaner applied to the brush when cleaning in the future? any help would be greatly appreciated

#3 ·
no, it's not dinged up as far as i can see. like i said above, i didn't take much care as to make sure the rod didn't hit the crown. it did hit it a couple times, and i wasn't sure if the damage would be visible to the naked eye? thanks for the tip about the cap.

#5 ·
It will take a while before the rod starts to damage the barrel, get a snake or use an aluminum or fiberglass rod.
I just use patches and pwder solvent when cleaning, it would have to be pretty dirty for me to use a brush.
Here's a video about the cleaning kit, he's showing it on an AK but it's basicly the same.
[video=youtube;5-2eaJTqUnA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-2eaJTqUnA]YouTube - AK47 cleaning kit[/video]

Welcome to the forum

#6 ·
If its a gun I have to clean from the muzzle I use one of the brass muzzle protectors that look like a cone with a hole for the cleaning rod. Once the brush or jag is pushed into the muzzle, then make sure the protector is in place before the cleaning rod enters the barrel so that only the brass protector touches the barrel.

#7 ·
your crown is fine unless you ran the rod through through it a whole bunch. on top of that your bore is chrome lines to make it even harder to damage. Im sure your fine and if you werent the chrome lined barrrel would compicate fixing it any way. shoot it and if it shoots the same your fine. buy a cheap one piece rod and many come with a plastic guide use that and you will be much happier. a bore snake works good for quick cleanings as well. just be carefull it dont catch on the extractor tip and get damaged.

#12 · (Edited)
Did chipmechanic say something.... must have missed it. His avatar reminds me of Kalashnikitty over at the Saiga-12 forums.

Use either Sweet's 7.62 Bore solvent or Barnes CR-10 Bore solvent when cleaning. Use either in conjunction with a good powder solvent. They are designed to clean out the copper fouling left in the bore from the shooting. Cleans out the copper VERY nice, just don't use a copper cleaning brush.

#13 ·
You can damage a crown to the point it will effect accuracy but you won't be able to see it with the naked eye or even a jewelers eye loop. I've proven this time and time again with the bore scope at work (yes I know everyone doesn't have access to a bore scope).

Also using the bullet test like you see people doing when selling guns on gunbroker etc....doesn't tell you anything. Also from one barrel to the next even in the same caliber if one barrel is .0002 bigger on the bore size the bullet will go in further. This has nothing to do with the condition of the crown.

Use a good cleaning rod and bore guide. Keep away from the garbage stuff if you want to take care of your guns.

Later!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.