Thread: Buying a Saiga .223/5.56x45

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Buying a Saiga .223/5.56x45

Would like to have a basic Kalashnikov-action rifle in .223/5.56 but doesn't seem many are available in VA at affordable prices. How recommendable is the Saiga .223? Is it worth buying one and converting it to AK configuration? Thanks for any tips based on your experiances with the .223 Saiga.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Yes it's worth getting.
    They are made basicly like an AK74 but with a 223 barrel.
    To do the stock and pistol grip conversion, you mainly just have to remove the plate on the bottom of the receiver and remount the trigger gaurd, all the holes are already there.
    On the barrel the grooves are already cut on the side of the barrel for the hand gaurd retainer, but you'd have to replace the gas block and front sight, I don't think these can be reinstalled after removing.

I'm going to soon be putting up some pics of mine, I'll be putting it in the conversion section.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Yes its worth it! we just got them in at our shop and I bought one to try out and I really like it! Its accurate and lightwight,and anything an Ak can take so can it so thats a plus considering I got 2 AK's!I dont know what they charge where you live ,but we sell them for 399 I think...yea
    Last edited by INDIANA556; 11-03-2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by runot59 View Post
    Would like to have a basic Kalashnikov-action rifle in .223/5.56 but doesn't seem many are available in VA at affordable prices. How recommendable is the Saiga .223? Is it worth buying one and converting it to AK configuration? Thanks for any tips based on your experiances with the .223 Saiga.

I got one, but it's in 7.62x39.

Got it for around $320 or 350 a while back, with skeleton stock and a crappy 10shot magazine.
    (you can buy 30rd magazines or slightly higher i believe, but then again, you could just break out the Dremel and grind the mag-catch down so it will accept normal AK mags, but you also need to get a Feed-ramp kit from dinzagarms.com)

These are excellent rifles, Russian quality, rock solid....they are typically alittle heavier than most AK's i've handled in the past, but that's actually a good thing in my mind.

They are worth buying and modifying and giving it a custom look or accessories.
    (as long as you can get a good deal on the rifle)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I like mine!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Jerry, nice looking conversion, what did you have to do to get the Galil orlites to work and do steel mags fit too? Will Bulgy 5.56 work?
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Haven't tried Bulgy yet. Orlites required a touch of filing of the "rib" on the sides near the front. Pics here:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK.../saigamags.htm

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Will Bulgy 5.56 work?
    I heard these fit but need a feed ramp.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The saiga .223 is definitely one of the best. And I actually like the fact that it comes in bare-bone at approximately $150-$250 less than the variants sold that are made up of used, surplus, and QC questionable parts. With the saiga, you are free to finish the weapon any way you want it. From as simple as adding american 30 round magazines and a $10 gas piston; to a complete conversion back to a full AK. You can have AK stock with a Galil foregrip. Change the trigger group or add a muzzle break. You can spend as little or as much as you want. And when you're done, the weapon is exactly how you want it. With one of the variants, you get what you get, whether you like it all or not. And you pay more for it. Saiga is definitely the way to go. Best of all worlds. Price, Quality, and flexibility.

Feedback Score

Saiga .223's are a great value, especially if you just do a basic conversion. If you do the the front end you are going to be closing in on the cost of an Arsenal .223 which comes with a very cool polymer folding stock.

All the best,
    tbt

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.