Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: why is it better??

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

LOL! the best thing to do is buy a saiga in 223/5.56, build a yugo in 7.62x39 and buy or build a Bulgarian in 5.45x39!

then you got um covered!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Take a m70 trunion in your hand and a Saiga trunion in yur hand and you will see a vast amount of differance. The weight is a factor but honestly how many of you are really going to be packing yor AK all day???? for target and play the weight is mice as it knocks down recoil.

I dont see how any one can say a gun with a $3 stock and a spray on finsh with crap stamped all over the side from the manufacturer and importer and plates riveted to the botttomto cover were the pistol grip should be with a horable trigger Good Fit and finish. even the wood furniture ones are worse then some really cheap guns. even if it all fit and worked properly it would still be a poor finish due to the cheap furniture alone.

If reworked they can be/are a good gun but not the way they are out of the box. the 7.62x39 and 223"s are decent deals for a working gun but the 308 is way over priced IMOO it doent cost them $5 more to make a 308. Im betting its the importers who jacking the prices up. It makes no sence for them not to ship over more 308's 243's but there still scarce it cant be that hard for them to make more of what the customer wants.

may 308 saiga is the least accurate AK variant I have BTW its good enough for hunting out to 250 yards but It aint great. I suspect the trigger is most of it. even if i had to rebarrel a Yugo id still take it over the saiga in 7.62x39. Id like to try a 223 Saiga the price is right on those.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Nobody considers an out of the box Saiga to be a usable rifle. Its a neutered joke. Its after the conversion is done that the Saiga becomes a usable rifle. It has a few holes that need to be welded up and they need a paint job but all the stuff that it needs to be useful are there. Besides...Nothing says quality like "Made in Russia"

Sorry... I couldn't resist.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Is Soviet. Is rifle. Is good. Da, tovarisch! Do not question the motherland or the proletariat!
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

take a couple shots of vodka and they start looking better!==

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jroberts1968 View Post
    I have owned both and own both, The Saiga is a great rifle to convert or leave alone and shoot. Anything feels lighter when shouldering a 70ab1, the Saigas I have owned have been in great F&F condition and have shot 1" groups. I love the Yugo who can't love the Yugo it feels like a rifle should feel but if I had to hump one all flipping day I think I would take the Saiga. I just built a M70-2 from virgin kit and it performed as well as any other AK and Saiga that I have owned. I always have felt this debate is really more opinion then and likability like a Camero vs Firebird It really comes down to what you like and how it feels. I like them all Yugo, Romy, Hungy Russian, Chicom and even the VZ. Buy it, Build It, or convert it......Lets just keep shooting it and them.
    I have a converted 16 inch Saiga 308 set up as a "Scout" rifle with a 4x long eye relief scope. It prints 1 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Over the past two falls has accounted for 6 white tails. Its my favorite rifle (right now).

Feedback Score

I really like my .223 Saiga. It replaced a junky Romanian WASR I picked up at a gun show. It wouldn't hit a barn from the inside. This Saiga shoots more accurately than me: I'm the limitation now.

I removed the stock FCG and polished all the connecting areas, after careful reading of many threads on the subject. It took out most of the grittiness.

Keep It In The 10 Ring rifleman223's Avatar
    Feedback Score

In my opion I enjoy shooting my saiga 223 accurate have not had one problem with the rifle to all of you on a budget don't be discuraged by the negative threads about this rifle enjoy the price the reliability and the mods you do. A friend of mine is attending a the Insight Tactical Traing Course with his modified saiga 223 and he is not giving up a thing to the AR guys also attending this course. Target shooting hunting defend your home and family I am not affriad to depend on my saiga. Master your life master the fire arms you have and that you can afford modifiy as your budget allows the masses have screamed for fire arms like this.

Feedback Score

A lot of people that hate on Saigas, are probably just prejudice against ANYTHING Russian...., or just don't like it unless it's American made....basically Over-complicated.

I love russian rifles, they knew how to do it right the first time....by keeping it simple.

The only Saigas that are good out of the box, are the .308's(for hunting), and the 7.62x39's with the skeleton stock.(then buy a bigger magazine).

And they are perfect for more gun-restrictive states.
    That's actually one of the reasons they've sold SO well....
    But the other reason, is because of solid build quality, and it's an excellent platform to start with for an AK build....because it's New out of the box, and SUPER affordable.
    They come with cheap plastic front-hand guards, and plastic stocks.

But that's the reason they are so cheap.....they skipped out on the cosmetics, and the fancy stuff. You just move the trigger forward, add the feed-ramp, file down the Mag-catch, and add whatever cosmetics you want.
    And you have a custom made Russian AK.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The only Saigas that are good out of the box, are the .308's(for hunting),
    I doubt you would think that if you had ever handled the two I have had. One was unfunctional and the other as just rough in every aspect you litteraly will cut your self just handeling it. a 1/4" of trigger pull is worthless on a hunting rifle or any thing else for that matter. . Im not sure id call $500 plus for one as super affordable. you can buy a Remington auto all day long in sevral differant caliburs and they will take a scope that is mounted correctly. I have seen several browning BAR in that price range used that I take in a heart beat over the Sagia for hunting. the mags are two pricey as well.

As a hunter I would pass(run away) on a Saiga in stock form for hunting ( I litteraly refused to let my son or friends use mine for that. I built my kid a converted AK insted when I have two stock 308 sitting here) . the accuray is not great the factory sights suck and the trigger is the worst of any rifle I have ever fired. the scope mounts are generaly to high for the stock to get a good check weld. The fact they charge extra for the 308 over the others is a bummer as well. If a 308 was avaliable for $350 or $400 Id think about it with a trigger upgrade. i have a wood stock set for one and its so-so much beter than the plastic.

I could care less were it came from. mine are just a three lug bolt and trunion waiting to be made into something much better.

IMOO they sell because they are AK related and can be converted and modifed to a assult style/AK looking rifle. Done right the conversions are pretty good and a good deal for the money. put a workable trigger On one and a scope mount that is not a side mount or attaached to the reciver drop the price to level that other almost identical appearing sagias cost. (it dont cost $10 more to have a extra lug) An smooth out all the rough edges throw in a second mag and Id consider changing my opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.