Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: why is it better??

Feedback Score

Default why is it better??

I'm new to ak's and I've been looking for a yugo m70 ab2. I've been given some references to go to a saiga....so what makes them better and what is the equal to an m70? thanx

Feedback Score

A Saiga is a Russian AK. Yes, it has to go through a bit of conversion before it looks like an AK again....but the receiver is russian and a true AK, so to speak

The M70 is a yugoslavian rendition of the AK. It has other unique features likes a bulged trunnion and a grenade sight and adapter.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Basicly what he said, and a Saiga is cheaper up front.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

A Saiga is also brand new off the assembly line, with many military parts while a Yugo is built from parts kits made from guns issued to illiterate conscript troops (with no cleaning kits issued).

You do the math.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Hands down, The Yugo is the best AK in 7x62-39
    Your in my Mind, and in my Sights

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have a hard time comparing a Saiga to a true russian AK the parts are lighter in almost every aspect. IMOO there nothing special. there are guys who think by conveting them to look like a military rifle they are some how getting a true Ak due to its russain recive kind of make me chuckel. The quality of some of the Saigas is pretty bad as far as fit and finish. they are new true but then you got to rip it apart to make it what you want so in the end you get a non original weapon. some day unmodifed Saigas might be worth something because of the many that were modifed LOL. If you could find a Yugo that was quality built on new parts and had a good reciver like a NDS id get it over a modifed Saiga in a heart beat even if it was $200 more.

I have several saigas and to me there nothing specail thay all have some type of flaw from the factory. If i wasent into AK,s and building them I would not look twice at them. many air soft rifles have better furniture, the factory Plastic saiga stuff is about as crapy as it gets. I havent seen a really accurate Saiga yet not sure why posably the barrels are not up to snuff. I saw a thread some were a 308 owner was braging about
    2" groups I was thinking my 100 year old worn out 30-30 could do better. personalu the Saigas scream cheap. I look at them as parts kits with a reciver.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

The only real Yugo rifles in this country are Yugoslavian Mitchell pre ban imports and they are the cream of the crop. Anything else and its luck of the draw on the parts kit or the builder. Same with the Saigas but with the saiga at least you get a new chrome lined barrel. I'd take a well built converted Saiga over a Yugo rebuild if I was buying a finished gun if both were comparably priced.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The big concern with Yugos is that sometimes you'll find they weren't maintained well, or at all! and that's what leads to the "luck of the draw" situation. The current build process for Yugo kits is to use a US-built barrel with all the original parts and refinish. You can have a really good rifle or if the parts were not maintained well you can have an "OK" rifle.

My yugo is rock-solid. My buddy's is too. Both are different vintages as his was built mid-90's, either just before or during the conflict so it may not have seen service. Mine is an 80's era build and had carving on the stock... an obvious participant. Other than a tighter fit on things like the grenade shut-of sight, both are great rifles. They are built heavy for rifle grenades and therefore you get a heavier duty rifle. Also you get a WAR RELIC which is something a Saiga never was. To me, that's something I can pass along with the historical significance... "a build from parts that were in the Bosnian conflict" etc.

Saigas are the hot potato right now since they are actually rifles and not just parts kits. Many home builders don't have all the tooling to do the entire kit build and therefore like the "ease" of the basic Saiga conversion. As has been said a "complete" conversion requires a bit more effort but the end result is something that looks just like the current-issue rifles.

I say get one of both!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the saiga is made by the "izhmash" factory in russia. the same plant that has cranked out millions of AK-47, AKM and ak-74s for the soviet union. some seem to think "tula" marked AKs are better. but i haven't found anything that proves it is somehow better than the izmash made AKs.

the saiga is just a castrated AKM--with the evil assault weapon features removed for the US market.

the price of a new saiga in not much more than a "kit" and your getting a brand new hammer forged chrome lined barrel made to soviet military specifications.

i can't say that a saiga is better than a yugo. and i can't say a yugo is better than a saiga either.
    i can say i would take a new saiga over a used yugo parts kit with a dark bore and no chrome in the barrel.

i have yugos and saiga rifles --they shoot very well. i would give a slight edge to the saiga made rifles due to the barrel being new. either rifle it comes down to the shooter--that is how close they really are.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I have owned both and own both, The Saiga is a great rifle to convert or leave alone and shoot. Anything feels lighter when shouldering a 70ab1, the Saigas I have owned have been in great F&F condition and have shot 1" groups. I love the Yugo who can't love the Yugo it feels like a rifle should feel but if I had to hump one all flipping day I think I would take the Saiga. I just built a M70-2 from virgin kit and it performed as well as any other AK and Saiga that I have owned. I always have felt this debate is really more opinion then and likability like a Camero vs Firebird It really comes down to what you like and how it feels. I like them all Yugo, Romy, Hungy Russian, Chicom and even the VZ. Buy it, Build It, or convert it......Lets just keep shooting it and them.
    Remember when we was playing matchbox cars in science class? Who's retarded now?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.