Thread: Saiga 7.62 x 39 casings dented on eject

Feedback Score

Default Saiga 7.62 x 39 casings dented on eject

All,

Brand new forum member here and looking forward to being very active.

I have a new Saiga 7.62 x 39 and love it.

I also reload my own ammunition. I noticed that all the ejected cases have a significant dent about halfway down the casing on one side.

Is this considered normal for this rifle? I am hoping the resizing die will take it out.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Feedback Score

Some saigas will also put a weird double shoulder on the brass, like an enfield rechambered for x54r. These don't hurt anything.

Case wall dents won't do nuthin' bad, might reduce accuracy a little on the next loading, but they won't have much effect. It is likely the cases are hitting the topcover on ejection. Get another topcover and cut the ejection port back and out of the way, the dents will probably go away and the brass will fly in a more rearwards path, making it easier to pick up.

Are you shooting boxer primed ammo? If not then reloading it will be a PITA for you.

Feedback Score

Thanks for the response.

re: the primers - yes, using large rifle primers (boxer)

Feedback Score

If you google something like "Saiga dented shell casing" you're likely to find a solution to this.
    This was happening to .223 I converted a few months ago.

tbt

Feedback Score

The dent comes from the dust cover. You can fab a "buffer" for the dust cover and eliminate that.
    My issue right now is the new 7.62 Saigas are giving me case neck swelling. When I shoot the same loads out of older Saigas I do not have it. Gotta get off my butt and do some measurements and compare.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Welcome aboard. You'll find some good folks here. kernnelkrink, B2B,+ 1biggun are some real sharp guys and they have a wealth of knowlage as well as many others here and there always here to help out. And I can't forget Karl/pa and jimmyt, funny as hell, check out the humor page and some of there posts, you'll bust a gut. I'm pretty new here too and have made some good connections and learned allot from these guys. Enjoy the site, I do Later Les

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.