Gunco Forums banner

ProMag has Gen2 saiga mags

5K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Zoo9guy 
#1 ·
Guys,
The initial run from promag had issues. They are now offering a gen II and will replace your gen I mags if you return them. Several at the Saiga-12.com forum are reporting no problems with the new ones.

#3 ·
The folowers tipped and were deformed(sides concave) and the spring was not strong enough. Many did the cork and fork method to get them to work. The gen 2 fixes both.

#7 · (Edited)
Got mine in today. Still required fitting of the mag body to my receiver opening. Follower appears to be thicker, and the spring is definitely stronger. Not sure, but it appears the only change is the follower and the spring. Haven't fire tested them yet.

#9 ·
Just did the exchange today. They were very nice about it. The new Gen2 mags look good. The color of the mag body is darker. The spring is much firmer and the follower stops exactly where it should be. Also the profile for the rear tab looks different. I hope these fit with no problems. The Gen 1 didn't fit at all. I will be trying them tonight.

#13 ·
The new Gen 2 Promags are good. I tested it out last week using Walmart bulkpack Federal 7-1/2 shot and it fired all rounds flawlessly. No FTE and no FTF. Before, my Gen 1 Promags jammed and were absolutely useless.

I have AGPs also. They worked good from day 1.

However, I really like the new Gen 2 Promags because of its waffle design and its one piece mag body, no screws like the AGP.

#11 ·
#19 ·
promags are beautiful looking mags...
if i was to hang my gun on the wall to just look at i would keep a promag in there.
however i like to use my gun, all promags i have used have been absolute garbage. they do not feed, and the follower sticks out too far causing the bolt to slam into it.

#14 ·
My test on the two replacements I received went T.U. The mag body is the same, and still requires fitting. Neither functioned and failed to feed on the second round in both mags. Popped my AGP in and finished the day with 200 rounds fired without a hickup. They still have some work to do to catch up with AGP. The big thing I see is the type of plastic they are using. It does not self lubricate like glass filled nylon. I will try some graphite or dry film moly to see if they improve. If they do, It will validify my assumption about the plastic. Not something I would trust my life with.

#18 ·
My test on the two replacements I received went T.U. The mag body is the same, and still requires fitting. Neither functioned and failed to feed on the second round in both mags. Popped my AGP in and finished the day with 200 rounds fired without a hickup. They still have some work to do to catch up with AGP. The big thing I see is the type of plastic they are using. It does not self lubricate like glass filled nylon. I will try some graphite or dry film moly to see if they improve. If they do, It will validify my assumption about the plastic. Not something I would trust my life with.
Are you sure they were Gen 2s? I had to mod the rear tab just a bit because it is still a little too fat. Once I did that, they worked great, no jamms or misfeeds like the Gen 1. Even my AGPs need to be modded slightly for a smoother insertion so not all mags are perfect.

I do want to also add that I recently had worked done on my bolt and carrier such that I can load a full mag with the bolt closed. So part of the credit goes to that work.

As far as I'm concerned every product PM has ever made is defective. It's all crap.
Funny, I felt the same way when I had the Gen 1 mags. Now that I have the Gen 2, I am now converted on that belief. I did expected to be disappointed but I wasn't.

#23 ·
I definitely like the Gen 2 Pro Mags, I was pissed when the first three Gen 1's had the follower problems. I talked to Pro Mag and they exchanged them for Gen 2's, they function flawlessly in my S-12. I would feel perfectly comfortable with a room full of Zombies and 10 loaded Gen 2 Pro Mags(00 of course) Clean up on aisle 3!!! :ak47:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.