Now that AKBuilder has choke tube adapter for the Saiga, I wanted to find what kinds of chokes to use and when. If anyone has any more recommendations I'd love to hear them!
I found this site that has a concise overview of chokes:
ChokeTubes.com | Choke Tubes, Choke Tube Useage Guide, Choke Tube Information
Going from least to most restricted:
- good for skeet and "close up" heavy cover hunting
- all-around "middle" choke for waterfowl and small game hunting
- longest reach as it keeps the pattern the tightest
- waterfowl and Turkey hunting applications
- tight patterns "up to 40 yards"
In no case should slugs be shot out of modified or full chokes! You could destroy the barrel! Improved chokes *at most* and ideally full bore (aka no choke) for slugs. Best case - a "paradox" style rifled choke made expressly for slugs.
The old timer method of testing is if a dime will fall through the choke then it is OK for slugs - however more careful consideration should be made as it won't take much to blow up a gun with a slug that plugs the barrel!
Shot shouldn't be used in any rifled choke tube as it won't pattern correctly - the rifling will spin the shot everywhere!