Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Saiga 12 AOW conversion???

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Saiga 12 AOW conversion???

Question 1: would be kosher to buy a Saiga 12 make a receiver for it, DONT add rear stock, File form 1 and register it as an AOW???

Question 2: Will AKM bent flats work on a Saiga 12 parts kit? if not what could be used?

Thanks This is what I'm After (with no stock and a pistol grip)

Like so:

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I don't know all the details for doing a SBS (Short Barreled Shotgun) but use the original receiver and just put a blocking plate on the rear where the stock get's mounted.

As for #2, no, completely different.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It would have to be an AOW for my state...... No SBS or SBR just AOW so.... I would have to use a new receiver because an AOW must never have had a stock.

Is there any receiver on the market that I could use on one of these flat or built?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by iansstud View Post
    It would have to be an AOW for my state...... No SBS or SBR just AOW so.... I would have to use a new receiver because an AOW must never have had a stock.

Is there any receiver on the market that I could use on one of these flat or built?
    Making an AOW is still an $200 tax on the form 1. Best way to do a Saiga AOW is to have a friendly SOT put the receiver on the registry and that have it transfered to you for $5 on a form 4.

There is currently no US made receivers being produced. I think that a new receiver cold be reverse engineered from an RPK receiver.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The SOT will then have to pay the $200 stamp to "create" it.

The Issue here is You cant make an AOW from a firearm that has had a stock. Saiga sells the Saiga 12 with a Stock from factory. I would have to build a new receiver.

How far off is th RPK? could I use the barrel/trunnion and weld it to a Tapco flat? like an ak kit?

Sorry for my ignorance, My ONLY AK experience is from my 98% complete AK pistol that voland traded me. And have never touched a Saiga before. I dont even know if they are milled or stamped...

Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

AFAIK there is no current receiver option for Saigas. Someone might be able to one-off one for you but the cost would be up there.

BTW, SOTs pay an annual yearly tax (the SOT) of $500 or $1000 for the pleasure of manufacturing NFA firearms. They do not pay an individual tax on anything they make, the yearly tax covers everything they make.

One possibility to make your own is to get some sheet steel the proper thickness, machine a forming die and bend the steel to shape around it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    AFAIK there is no current receiver option for Saigas. Someone might be able to one-off one for you but the cost would be up there.

One possibility to make your own is to get some sheet steel the proper thickness, machine a forming die and bend the steel to shape around it.
    Why would you do all that... I would just adapt an existing receiver flat or bent metal one. The biggest PITA is dealing with the rails. I don't know where you would source the rail from.

Mark

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

AKs are either .045 or .060, more or less. From what I've been reading the Saigas come in .050, .055, and possibly other thicknesses. You'd have to watch your inside width when bending the flat.

I've given thought to the SOT issue before. It might be possible to find one who would do a "twofer" - you prepare the flats and loan him the bending fixture, and he bends them, registers them, and then transfers one or more to you. He's only out a few minutes' time in bending and some paperwork, and he gets some "free" receivers he can sell.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    AKs are either .045 or .060, more or less. From what I've been reading the Saigas come in .050, .055, and possibly other thicknesses. You'd have to watch your inside width when bending the flat.

I've given thought to the SOT issue before. It might be possible to find one who would do a "twofer" - you prepare the flats and loan him the bending fixture, and he bends them, registers them, and then transfers one or more to you. He's only out a few minutes' time in bending and some paperwork, and he gets some "free" receivers he can sell.

Ummmm, no.

not how it works.

When signed out it goes as follows: long gun, pistol or receiver.
    In this scenario it will be receiver.
    There is no way to turn it into an AOW period.
    No one I know would be willing to falsify paperwork to appease anybody just to get sent to prison.

Your app WILL be turned down should you submit one.
    Then you may also qualify to be on their watch list. It just ain 't worth it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post

Just measured my Saiga, it's .065" or just a hair over 1.65 mm, the inside with always should be the same. I used a micrometer and not a caliper.

Mark

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.