Gunco Forums banner

Saiga-12 Magwells in stock at Rusmilitary

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  hcpookie 
#1 · (Edited)
I just received mine, took about 2 weeks to get them! They didn't charge my CC for about half a week, so I assume they don't have a large inventory of stock. I ordered only the magwell but they have it and the magwell/magazine combo listed as "in stock"!!!

Grand total delivered to my addy $85

A few observations:

- The front retainer tab appears to screw into a slot and is secured with a 90-degree turn of the screw. Interesting... need to figure how to secure that.

- Comes with an extra-long magazine retaining pin

- This thing is nice and beefy... I wonder if I can mold a master.

AK-74 AK-47 SVD 7.62x39 5.45X39 7.62X54 magazine clips inert ammunition

#4 ·
Does the latch hardware have instructions? I found the online "template" isn't that accurate.

I'd recommend getting the mag combo so you won't have to be like me and have to try to figure out how exactly to mount it. Looks like there are tabs on the back, where the retainer latch is, that needs to be sanded down to fit just right. I don't think I'm expected to cut into the receiver around the latch.

Also, the're a slide on the front that needs a cut in the front of the magwell opening in the receiver to make it fit. At first I thought it was just a tab from the molding that needed to be cut off, but now it looks obvious that it keeps the front of the magazine from sticking in the front retainer area.

#5 ·
Does the latch hardware have instructions? I found the online "template" isn't that accurate.
Mine didn't have any info with it.
This is from the Saiga12 Forum, it's in a thread started by sKott, I think. The measurements are from an actual 12C, I used it when I did mine, the only thing I can suggest is to leave the front a little short and open it slowly until it seems right.

Attachments

#6 ·
Coils you're spot on! I found the hole to be too high and slightly exposed the very bottom of the trunion. Could have been a little farther down. Measuring from a riveted-in piece assumes all rivets to be identical, which I think is the problem. It really needs to be measured from a straight-edge set along the top of the receiver.

#10 ·
One thing to keep in mind is that the lever will extend into the magazine well. This can block you from engaging the latch when a magazine is loaded. If you look at factory mags, and the factory magwell, they have a bevel that lets the latch engage. I'm pretty sure you'll need to grind on the aftermarket magazines to get them to fit like factory.

You know, now that I look at it, there's a recess for the folding stock hinge pin on the bottom of the magwell.

#15 ·
One thing to keep in mind is that the lever will extend into the magazine well. This can block you from engaging the latch when a magazine is loaded. If you look at factory mags, and the factory magwell, they have a bevel that lets the latch engage. I'm pretty sure you'll need to grind on the aftermarket magazines to get them to fit like factory.

You know, now that I look at it, there's a recess for the folding stock hinge pin on the bottom of the magwell.
OK A few things... buddy came over with his mags and we did some comparison. The front locking lugs on the different magazines are NOT all the same:

- AGP: Requires grinding
- Surefire: Requires grinding
- Promag: DOES NOT require grinding

We were surprised that the promag fits with a side-folding latch as-is.

We also noticed that the blueprint location for the latch pin is a little too far forward. Not enough to not work, but if you compare the recess in the factory magwell to the location you are supposed to drill on the receiver, it appears to be just a bit too far forward. It could go back about .010" and still be OK, and it will probably engage better that way.

More testing to come - going to the range today to do some more pistol grip reliability testing :)

#12 ·
I got confirmation from the resident IZHMASH expert that you do indeed need to mill the front of the magazine well to fit, and you also need to mill away the sides for better clearance. When fitting it by hand it is obvious where to machine it away.

Its rainy here today so I may piddle with it some - still a bit too cold to make pistol grips :(

#14 ·
As pricey as the Russian latch. They do have that latch in stock too. Chokes, latches, everything but the "paradox" rifled choke :( I think I'm going to make a choke adapter just for a rifled and forget about ever getting that factory choke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.