Gunco Forums banner

Converted Saiga 12 Feed Issues/Trigger reset/BHO Jammed

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  chipmechanic 
#1 ·
Bought the Saiga 12 from a Gunco member back in Feb or March, and finally got the chance to take her out for a spin. Started with a Promag 10 round mag. Pull bolt back to feed one into the chamber, release bolt, and crunch, the round jams into the trunnion just below the barrel. Pull mag, discard damaged shell, insert mag again, rack it and it jams again!!!!! Damnit!!!!! So, I switch to the factory 5 rounder. It feeds somewhat reluctantly. I fire all 5 rounds, but twice I had to manually push the trigger back forward to reset it. Then I load a few more shells into the 5 round mag to let my buddy give it a try, and he gets one shot off before the Bolt Hold Open locks the bolt all the way rearward, and will not release for anything. WTF!?!?!?!?! I was sorely disappointed in the performance of this particular firearm.

Still not sure what the issue with the Promag is, as everything appears the same as the factory 5 rounder as far as shell angle, locking lugs, etc.... Like I said though, even with the factory mag it didn't feel very smooth when feeding that first round. Planning to take the Promag back & get my money back for one thing. Still it doesn't feel like it's feeding correctly from the factory mag.

Operating the bolt manually the trigger sets every time, so I'm not sure where to start on that end. I guess I'll try to watch it with the cover off while I have someone rack the bolt, so see if there is something I'm missing.

I had read Chipmechanics post about the BHO on his getting jammed, and mine did the exact same thing. When I finally got it freed up, I pulled it out, and re-installed it, and couldn't seem to get the spring to stay in position. Anyone have any good pics of how the spring sits, so I can make sure it was in correctly?? I know it worked fine holding the bolt open when operated prior to firing the gun.

And by the way, I have built approximately 9 AK's (That work just great.)so I'm not a total dumb@$$, but I do need some help on this one, please.

See less See more
#2 ·
Bought the Saiga 12 from a Gunco member back in Feb or March, and finally got the chance to take her out for a spin. Started with a Promag 10 round mag. Pull bolt back to feed one into the chamber, release bolt, and crunch, the round jams into the trunnion just below the barrel. Pull mag, discard damaged shell, insert mag again, rack it and it jams again!!!!! Damnit!!!!! So, I switch to the factory 5 rounder. It feeds somewhat reluctantly. I fire all 5 rounds, but twice I had to manually push the trigger back forward to reset it. Then I load a few more shells into the 5 round mag to let my buddy give it a try, and he gets one shot off before the Bolt Hold Open locks the bolt all the way rearward, and will not release for anything. WTF!?!?!?!?! I was sorely disappointed in the performance of this particular firearm.

Still not sure what the issue with the Promag is, as everything appears the same as the factory 5 rounder as far as shell angle, locking lugs, etc.... Like I said though, even with the factory mag it didn't feel very smooth when feeding that first round. Planning to take the Promag back & get my money back for one thing. Still it doesn't feel like it's feeding correctly from the factory mag.

Operating the bolt manually the trigger sets every time, so I'm not sure where to start on that end. I guess I'll try to watch it with the cover off while I have someone rack the bolt, so see if there is something I'm missing.

I had read Chipmechanics post about the BHO on his getting jammed, and mine did the exact same thing. When I finally got it freed up, I pulled it out, and re-installed it, and couldn't seem to get the spring to stay in position. Anyone have any good pics of how the spring sits, so I can make sure it was in correctly?? I know it worked fine holding the bolt open when operated prior to firing the gun.

And by the way, I have built approximately 9 AK's (That work just great.)so I'm not a total dumb@$$, but I do need some help on this one, please.
Check out the vid on FCG install. carolinashooterssupply.com Videos and Links You probably only need a little bend in the spring so it won't fall off the BHO.

Also check your hammer spring leg. It may need a little bend also. Get it working with the factory mag before messing with the pro mag.

Good luck

#3 ·
Yeah that little spring is a bugger. I use a dental pick to grab it and install it onto the foot.

If you said your 5-rounder is having feed problems as well it could be the shotshells are bulged. Had that happend due to improperly-stored shells and from overly-crimped shells causing a bulge near the base. In both cases you can resize them or simply save them for the pump action.

They can take a few boxes to break in. If you observe the parts that lock up, you'll probably notice wear areas. Once they get the burrs etc. worn off they will go much smoother. I would use the "2" setting for the first few boxes and then try the "1" setting with buckshot etc. to see how it works.

Also the BHO spring seems more than enough to keep it out of the way for normal use - if you don't have a good hand hold on it then you could accidentally push it up. I haven't had problems but I could see how that would happen. Check your stance on the grip and if you're touching that nubbin "at rest" then you may want to try a different hand hold or possibly shorten that nubbin.

#4 ·
Good info HC. I went through it last night, and tweaked a few things, and it seems much smoother now, at least cycling it by hand. I had no problems feeding shells from any of my mags, factory or otherwise, at least by hand?!?!?! Took the FCG and BHO out, and started over. I put a tiny groove in the arm that the spring sits on on the BHO to help keep the spring leg from slipping off the BHO. WWill hopefully test on Saturday.

Thanks guys!!

#5 ·
Oh OK from the description I thought the shells were hanging up on the feeding. That can cause feed issues and the fixes are as I described.

On the hand feeding I've noticed that if I reload a shell and it is bulged, it will hang when feeding by hand. I can push it down by hand in my promag and you can feel when it hangs up. The promags are a little thin in the middle, I did a write-up on how to open them up using a heat gun or blowtorch. A real easy tweak :)

You know on my Saiga12 it has a few areas that are really worn, as if the barrel or trunion isn't aligned perfectly with the receiver. Not a problem for me as the parts are all rubbing smooth and it just works. I've shot some pretty stout buckshot and slug hand loads through it and it just keeps on ticking! :cool:

#6 ·
HC, is the write-up for the Pomag mags on your web page?? (I can't check it from here at work, as the company blocks it for some reason?!?!?) Thanks!!

#9 ·
The good news is that after a while you can get that spring and BHO thing is and out in about 5 minutes. Then you can mess around with modifying it to hold the spring better and shortneing the release button so it isnt in the way so bad . Then you can do what I did and pull the God Damned thing out and throw it in the parts drawer for the rest of time. Cut a notch in the safety to hold the bolt open. Call it good.

Polish the bolt and carrier. Polish the hammer, the trigger and the disconnector. Grease everything. Shoot the piss out of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.