Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FACTORY Saiga-12 Last Round Bolt Stop

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by netpackrat View Post
    There's an aftermarket version out now. Not sure if the standard mags will require modification, or what:

CGW SAIGA 12 LAST ROUND BOLT HOLD OPEN (LRBHO)
    Interesting! That looks like it needs to have the mags modified, since there is no exposed area clear of the rounds on top. I'll bet you have to grind away one side of the lips at the back.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Yeah, I'm waiting to read some first hand reports from people who have installed them. There has been some vague reference on another forum about needing to have the bolt milled (I'm sure they meant the carrier), but nothing specific.

Edit: I was wrong; saw some pictures and the bolt head itself gets a groove milled into it for this mod, which extends well into the bolt face. Not to mention the machining of the receiver itself. I'm not really sure that I care for the bolt alteration.
    Last edited by netpackrat; 03-19-2011 at 07:44 AM.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I got one of the factory LRBHO models before the price hike. It comes with one 5 rd LRBHO mag. Standard mags need modified to allow the BHO "beak" to fall into the mag and release the bolt. Quick dremel work. I have pics, but they are no dif than the previous ones.

I've heard the factory 8 rd mags are made for the LRBHO and also have the taller follower. Any source for those?
    Ketchup is gross.

WTB pre-enjoyed Hornady LNL progressive press.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 20nickels View Post
    I got one of the factory LRBHO models before the price hike. It comes with one 5 rd LRBHO mag. Standard mags need modified to allow the BHO "beak" to fall into the mag and release the bolt. Quick dremel work. I have pics, but they are no dif than the previous ones.

I've heard the factory 8 rd mags are made for the LRBHO and also have the taller follower. Any source for those?
    I dropped the ball and was going to post some pics of my mags when It arrived.

so you are saying the LRBHO are the same as the regular ones and just need slight modificaion to the original ones? Have you tried it with aftermarket yet?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I know of no magazines except for the supplied one that will active the LRBHO. What I'm saying is you will need to slightly modify any other mags to even allow the bolt to cycle forward.

The dif on the supplied LRBHO mag is
    A; Taller follower
    B: Looking at the back spine of the mag, A small portion of material is removedon the inside upper right side to clear the "beak".

Hope that helps.
    Ketchup is gross.

WTB pre-enjoyed Hornady LNL progressive press.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

have you guys seen the videos on installing the last round bolt hold open? man that is a good deal of work. I don't like the idea of messing with the bolt and other parts that have to have material taken out. Hell, just like the rest of the saigas i own i just get used to operating without one. Once you get used to it you don't even miss it. JMHO
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Yeah, I saw some of what all was involved in the mod, and decided to pass. I may even take my non last round BHO out, since I've read that the spring can come undone, which will allow the bolt to lock up unexpectedly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

if you make a little notch where the leg of the spring rests it will help to hold the spring in place. The next i have found is that most People don't shorten the bolt hold open tab and it will interfere with your trigger finger. You may also engage it under recoil. push the bolt hold open tab up as far as it will go, mark a line where under the receiver with sharpy then you can use a dremel or file to shorten the tab. I angled mine back on the 7.62 and .223 at about a 45 degree to give as much room as i could for my trigger finger on the s 12 i just made shorter and rounded off. you don't need much to engage the bolt hold open. Still don't go crazy file fit and function test.

i did this because after you do the conversion the tab sits at a 90 degreeee angle and almost drops done in the way of your trigger finger. I know my instructionsns may not be clear so hopefully the pics below will help you compare to yours and you will get the drift.

the s12 is the first two: first...tab is down....next tab engaged and bolt is open...... next is the 7.62 x39 (sorry for the crappy first pic)

DSCN0237.JPG

DSCN0251.JPG

DSCN0238.JPG

DSCN0240.JPG
    Last edited by 45leadslinger2; 05-08-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

push the bolt hold open tab up as far as it will go, mark a line where under the receiver then you can use a dremel or file to shorten the tab.
    That's what I did to mine. Pushed it up so it would hold the bolt, then used a sharpie to make a line along the receiver, then filed it down so some of the sharpie line was left.

And I think your right, some people are hitting the BHO while firing, or they aren't installing the spring right?
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

i think the issue is when the rifles come as a sporterized version the bolt hold open tab needs to be a a 90 degree angle but when you move the trigger forward it should probably be at a 45 degree away from the trigger group. this mod sure makes things work and feel better to me.
    Some say they just do without the bolt hold open and i can certainly see their point.
    Personally i like the bolt hold open is convenient when you are at the range.
    I did the bolt grind and polish myself so you can load a full mag in without pulling charging handle back.
    Now if you are going to do it yourself you really need to pay attention not to take too much off you are just slightly rounding off the edges then a really good polish. Remember do little bits at a time and test fit. the biggest task with doing any kind of mod is "patience grasshopper patience"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

bolt stop saiga 12

diagram vepr 12 last round bolt hold open
rusmilitary

saiga 12 bolt stop

saiga 12 factory last round bolt hold open

saiga 12 last round bolt hold open conversion

saiga 12 last round bolt stop

saiga 12 with last round bolt hold open
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.