Gunco Forums banner

FACTORY Saiga-12 Last Round Bolt Stop

14K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  gwailo 
#1 ·
At least K-Var is advertising them now. "Comes with 5 round mag"... doesn't say if it works with the original design mags or needs new mags.

Interestingly, does NOT come with the magwell!

K-Var Corp. ™

$630

SO.... I wonder how this will work with original mags. The new mags have a slightly modified follower that appears longer in the back, so the stop can be tripped when the follower moves up after the last round. Not sure how these would work with original mags?

Also, I wonder when will we see the conversion parts. Rusmilitary says they are coming soon.

#3 ·
Yes, same basic idea. The bolt locking lever is reshaped to support it, and the plunger sits in that area at the center support. There are some pics on the rusmilitary site, and I have a pic of the VEPR bolt stop which is basically the same:

The button on the outside appears to be for a manual hold-open; I suppose that would be easier than the one in the trigger guard.

#4 ·
Yeah I have one on the way... I will take pictures when It shows up. The other thing to note for Washington state is that the import markings are moved from the right rear of the receiver so I can legally convert this to a Russian Side folder. Washington frowns on any modification of the import markings or serial numbers.
Pat

#8 ·
Should not have any problems with conversion as that is what they use on the military Saigas.

BTW I got my LRBHO version from K-var today and the mags are definately different... Not sure that just replacing the follwoers will work. Will post some pictures soon with what it looks like.
Pat

#9 ·
Yes I think I posted about the mag changes on a different thread. I think you can file that middle section of the rear "rib" of the magazine to make the new follower work. Can't wait for mine to arrive :)

#11 ·
There's an aftermarket version out now. Not sure if the standard mags will require modification, or what:

CGW SAIGA 12 LAST ROUND BOLT HOLD OPEN (LRBHO)
Interesting! That looks like it needs to have the mags modified, since there is no exposed area clear of the rounds on top. I'll bet you have to grind away one side of the lips at the back.

#12 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm waiting to read some first hand reports from people who have installed them. There has been some vague reference on another forum about needing to have the bolt milled (I'm sure they meant the carrier), but nothing specific.

Edit: I was wrong; saw some pictures and the bolt head itself gets a groove milled into it for this mod, which extends well into the bolt face. Not to mention the machining of the receiver itself. I'm not really sure that I care for the bolt alteration.

#13 ·
I got one of the factory LRBHO models before the price hike. It comes with one 5 rd LRBHO mag. Standard mags need modified to allow the BHO "beak" to fall into the mag and release the bolt. Quick dremel work. I have pics, but they are no dif than the previous ones.

I've heard the factory 8 rd mags are made for the LRBHO and also have the taller follower. Any source for those?

#14 ·
I got one of the factory LRBHO models before the price hike. It comes with one 5 rd LRBHO mag. Standard mags need modified to allow the BHO "beak" to fall into the mag and release the bolt. Quick dremel work. I have pics, but they are no dif than the previous ones.

I've heard the factory 8 rd mags are made for the LRBHO and also have the taller follower. Any source for those?
I dropped the ball and was going to post some pics of my mags when It arrived.

so you are saying the LRBHO are the same as the regular ones and just need slight modificaion to the original ones? Have you tried it with aftermarket yet?

#15 ·
I know of no magazines except for the supplied one that will active the LRBHO. What I'm saying is you will need to slightly modify any other mags to even allow the bolt to cycle forward.

The dif on the supplied LRBHO mag is
A; Taller follower
B: Looking at the back spine of the mag, A small portion of material is removedon the inside upper right side to clear the "beak".

Hope that helps.

#16 ·
have you guys seen the videos on installing the last round bolt hold open? man that is a good deal of work. I don't like the idea of messing with the bolt and other parts that have to have material taken out. Hell, just like the rest of the saigas i own i just get used to operating without one. Once you get used to it you don't even miss it. JMHO

#18 · (Edited)
if you make a little notch where the leg of the spring rests it will help to hold the spring in place. The next i have found is that most People don't shorten the bolt hold open tab and it will interfere with your trigger finger. You may also engage it under recoil. push the bolt hold open tab up as far as it will go, mark a line where under the receiver with sharpy then you can use a dremel or file to shorten the tab. I angled mine back on the 7.62 and .223 at about a 45 degree to give as much room as i could for my trigger finger on the s 12 i just made shorter and rounded off. you don't need much to engage the bolt hold open. Still don't go crazy file fit and function test.

i did this because after you do the conversion the tab sits at a 90 degreeee angle and almost drops done in the way of your trigger finger. I know my instructionsns may not be clear so hopefully the pics below will help you compare to yours and you will get the drift.

the s12 is the first two: first...tab is down....next tab engaged and bolt is open...... next is the 7.62 x39 (sorry for the crappy first pic)

Trigger Air gun Wood Gun accessory Shotgun

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gas Bumper

Office equipment Trigger Gas Air gun Machine

Trigger Shotgun Door Bumper Wood

#19 ·
push the bolt hold open tab up as far as it will go, mark a line where under the receiver then you can use a dremel or file to shorten the tab.
That's what I did to mine. Pushed it up so it would hold the bolt, then used a sharpie to make a line along the receiver, then filed it down so some of the sharpie line was left.

And I think your right, some people are hitting the BHO while firing, or they aren't installing the spring right?

#20 ·
i think the issue is when the rifles come as a sporterized version the bolt hold open tab needs to be a a 90 degree angle but when you move the trigger forward it should probably be at a 45 degree away from the trigger group. this mod sure makes things work and feel better to me.
Some say they just do without the bolt hold open and i can certainly see their point.
Personally i like the bolt hold open is convenient when you are at the range.
I did the bolt grind and polish myself so you can load a full mag in without pulling charging handle back.
Now if you are going to do it yourself you really need to pay attention not to take too much off you are just slightly rounding off the edges then a really good polish. Remember do little bits at a time and test fit. the biggest task with doing any kind of mod is "patience grasshopper patience"

#21 ·
Some say they just do without the bolt hold open and i can certainly see their point.
Personally i like the bolt hold open is convenient when you are at the range.
Yep & Yep, I see their point at removing it. And I also like having it for range use, most want the bolt open or a flag when not at the firing line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.