Gunco Forums banner

Saiga12 won't shoot winchesters

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  45leadslinger2 
#1 ·
Hi everyone my converted saiga 12 will feed and fire any shells known to man except for the cheap Winchester sporting clay loads. It's not a failure to eject just fails to feed one or two times out of every four rounds. Anyone else have this problem?

#4 ·
The updated gas plugs from MD arms should solve the problem. They are very resonable in cost and I think every Saiga should have one

#5 ·
Before you spend any money on a gas valve you might not need.
Try the Federal low powered bird shot first, mine doesn't care for the Winchester but runs fine on the Federal stuff.
If your still having problems with both brands, try turning the gas valve out half a turn and if that doesn't work try a full turn. If none of this fixes the issue, then try the new gas valve.

#6 ·
Failure to feed? This sounds like it would not be a problem with the gas system, rather a magazine problem. Factory mags? Aftermarket mags?
Does this happen with any other factory loads? I have observed feed issues iwth some aftermarket mags, but swapping mags resolved the issue. If they eject properly, I would think that setting the gas valve to "2" would do the trick, because that setting is what allows more gas for the light loads. The aftermarket valves are simply doing this in increments. You could unscrew the valve a whole turn as well, which would let a bit more gas vent.

Curious! I would like to know how other factory loads work as well.

#7 ·
This is VERY common on the Saiga-12... the Winchester shells use a softer plastic, and are easily deformed by the box magazine.

Besides the weak pressures that sometimes short-stroke a stock Saiga.

Polishing the bottom of the bolt & carrier, along with the hammer & any other surfaces that create friction on the bolt/carrier will help. There are lower pressure hammer springs available that help, too. polishing the feed ramp & edge of the chamber will help deformed rounds to chamber.

If you're cycling the other value packs (Federal, Remington), and it's a FTF (not a FTE- how far are shells ejecting?), chances are it's NOT the gas system. Get the bolt & carrier to slide like glass, and polish anything the shells touch on their way to the chamber- that's the only way to get Winchester value packs (aka WWW, Wally World Winchester) to feed reliably.

#8 ·
It's always been real reliable with everything else. I think it has something to do with the softer plastic the shells are made of. I use the factory five doing mag as well as a surefire 12 round mag and they both work fine with everything else. The winchesters jam up and deform before they even make it into the chamber.

#9 ·
Just to echo what the others have said, it's pretty well known that the vast majority of Saigas have trouble with the Winchester value pack ammo from Walmart. The following is from a Saiga FAQ that Tromix put out:

Ammunition: Most Saiga-12’s will cycle all 1-1/8oz ammunition. I do not recommend firing any of the super light 1oz shells. The very best cheap, light, birdshot ammo is Winchester WW, Super Sport, or Super Handicap. It runs about $4.50 per box and cycles Saiga’s like a champ. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIRE WINCHESTER “UNIVERSAL” AMMO SOLD AT WALMART. YOU WILL HAVE NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. Don’t call me if your gun does not work with this ammo. Any high base heavy loads should work fine in all guns, including buckshot, slugs, and steel shot waterfowl ammunition.

#10 ·
i have ad the same issue. the gun fixer gas plug helped a great deal. i just dropped in one of those tac47 auto plugs. works fine single shot and even double taps but when i go to rapid fire i get a FTF every once in a couple of mags. I do think its a mag spring issue. I am going to try to polish all friction surfaces again to a higher finish. Funny thing my S12 has more issues with the federal bulk then the winchester. go figure.
i have no issues with any other rounds. All in all it runs like a dream. it would be nice to be able to plink with these cheap rounds.

#12 ·
i haven't seen the feed ramp mod yet but why wouldn't you do it? does it take too much material off?

#13 ·
i haven't seen the feed ramp mod yet but why wouldn't you do it? does it take too much material off?
From what I have read and seen in the photos of the tutorial, it removes very little material. Here is a thread that has the tutorial (PDF in one of the posts) plus other info.
Bad FTF problem!!! - forum.Saiga-12.com
The reason that I wont do it is because I haven't had any fail to feed problems that I can attribute to the feed ramp.

#14 ·
thanks for the link. Looks like tromix answers the issue post #37

I wonder if thats what is going on with mine. I can shoot single shots and double taps but when i go to rapid fire i get the occasionaly FTF. also mine does just the opposite of everyone else and shoots winchesters well but not remingtons. I might have to take a pic of my bolt and ask him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.