Gunco Forums banner

Saiga 20 for the wife?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  smartbomb 
#1 ·
I'm looking at home defense options for Mrs. Pook. :)

Wondering if anyone has tried the Saiga 20? Also curious about magazine options. It seems there are hi-cap mags out there but I can't find them listed at Midway, so I'm not even sure what brand they are.

If not the Saiga-20, I'm considering low-recoil buckshot loads for the S-12.

#2 ·
pookie she is better off with the 410. the 20 kicks as bad as a 12. i had 2, did 1 as an underfolder and that made the recoil worse.

the 410 is mild but will launch slugs like there is no tomorrow. i did 4" groups at roughly 50 yards shooting offhand. the bonus with the lighter recoil is really quick follow-up.

the 410

the 20UF

#3 ·
WELL I was wondering about the .410. To be honest I hadn't seen a 20ga discussed since the 12 gets all the attention, and suddenly there they are...

Have you had good luck with aftermarket .410 magazines? What's the story on those? I see there's a 30-rounder drum now too.

#4 ·
hc, of all the saiga shotguns the 410 is THE most reliable. i have a stack of agp 10's and 15's and have never had an issue. the only snag is with the cheap bulk crap. the hulls are so soft they tend to bite the "hood" at the tail of the barrel and hang. other than that, it is flawless.

#5 ·
I may pursue this. I've always picked up .410 once-fired shells from the range for dad. He has collected an entire reloading setup for this round. I think he uses it for turkey hunting on occasion, but I thought it was mostly for the nephew for if/when he goes out too. I'd like to get more into shotgun hunting (small game etc) but never really get out enough to do so.

So educate me on this - I know there's been a bunch of research put into custom .410 slug building on the shotgunworld forum... is there a preferred round for the Saiga .410? In a 3" chamber I presume? I've had best luck in my S-12 reloads with Rem hulls and slugs. Currently researching rifled slug loads for use w/ rifled choke tube adapter for some longer range loads.

#7 ·
is there a preferred round for the Saiga .410? In a 3" chamber I presume? I've had best luck in my S-12 reloads with Rem hulls and slugs.
yep 3" only. i have shot a bunch of different stuff thru it. the ones to avoid are the winchester bulk from walmart. mine loves fiocchi. any brand of the slug/buck shot ran without issue. again the most offensive problem are the cheap hulls that deform easily. dont waste time with PDX. they are a hair too long. sucks because i like the concept. i need to start reloading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.