Gunco Forums banner

My version of adapting a .223 to use AR mags

9K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  petroman 
#1 ·
I have been using an adapter on this rifle since I purchased it over a year ago. I've made several versions, This is the latest that I'm finally happy with. I wanted a mag release that I could work with my right hand and change mags like an AR. I didn't want to be limited to only one type of mag. I couldn't find what I wanted so I made it. What do you think?

See less See more
#3 ·
Great idea. Post the build details please. I'm sure that there will be quite a bit of interest.

The build and fitting takes about 4-6 hours per adapter. If you can weld, I could explain, but if not, you couldn't build it. I usually TIG mine, but you could use a MIG if you're careful. The metal is thin and easily burned through.
The cost of the steel isn't all that much, but the time.... If you had to pay someone to do it, It would cost more than the $125 shipped CONUS that I charge for them. If you or anyone else wants the instructions, PM me and I'll be glad to furnish them to your email as they're fairly long. I didn't think about taking pics of the build, so I have to talk you through it.(I didn't have a camera at the time either)

#5 ·
Looks like a marketable part

I think you should seriously consider drawing it up, and getting quotes on a 100 piece custom run. You would be surprised at how inexpensive it can be.

I will PM you, and look at the instructions. Pics, very detailed ones of the piece off of the rifle, and with and without the mag inserted would be worth many thousands of words. Anyway, my thought is that you could get them made for about $25-35 each raw, you add finishing touches, and sell for $85-90. Just a thought. I have done this kind of thing with 1895 Mauser rifles that I converted to 7.62x39, and used single stack AK mags on them. Making the mag well took me 12-15 hours, and lots of mistakes and fitting. Once I got a professional involved, the process was reduced to $25.00 each and a two week turn-around. Fitting was a 15 minute process.

Just my $0.02
:headbang:

#7 ·
I think you should seriously consider drawing it up, and getting quotes on a 100 piece custom run. You would be surprised at how inexpensive it can be.

I will PM you, and look at the instructions. Pics, very detailed ones of the piece off of the rifle, and with and without the mag inserted would be worth many thousands of words. Anyway, my thought is that you could get them made for about $25-35 each raw, you add finishing touches, and sell for $85-90. Just a thought. I have done this kind of thing with 1895 Mauser rifles that I converted to 7.62x39, and used single stack AK mags on them. Making the mag well took me 12-15 hours, and lots of mistakes and fitting. Once I got a professional involved, the process was reduced to $25.00 each and a two week turn-around. Fitting was a 15 minute process.

Just my $0.02
:headbang:

I do need to do something. They are really wanted and I can't make them fast enough. I would like someone else to make them and just pay me a % of the sales. I didn't know they would be so popular. I'm more of a designer than a manufacturer. If you do the machining right to the rifle, you don't need a bullet guide. I have people standing in line for the .308 to FAL adapter and don't have time to finish it for building these and my regular job.

#9 ·
I have been wanting some thing simmular for a regular AK 223 also been thinking that making them for sale would be a good idea. a saiga 308 addapter would be a hit.

I do think there is a market for this device. If you can get it under $65.00 and it is installable with only minor filing/fitting, you will have a winner!
agreed

when they used to sell complete AR recivers for $90 you would think a adapter could be made for around $50. Id love to see close up picks. does yours latch into a standard ak mag release??? Im very interested. I want to put a ar drum into my 223 varmit build.

#11 ·
I have been wanting some thing simmular for a regular AK 223 also been thinking that making them for sale would be a good idea. a saiga 308 addapter would be a hit.

agreed

when they used to sell complete AR recivers for $90 you would think a adapter could be made for around $50. Id love to see close up picks. does yours latch into a standard ak mag release??? Im very interested. I want to put a ar drum into my 223 varmit build.

Yes, It just snaps on and off like a regular AK mag. The only machining to be done is to the trunion. It took me 20 min. with a dremel the first time. All you have to do is remove enough for the mag to fit against the magrail, snap the adapter on, check for feeding and then go shoot.
I tried to have it CNC made out of aluminum. The guy went out of business and kept my plans and drawings when he dissappeared. He didn't know what it was for though. It would be much quicker to cut it from aluminum than to weld it.

#17 ·
The adapter just snaps on the outside of the receiver covering the magwell and held on by the original magcatch. Here's a pic of it off the gun and a pic of the trunnion, although, I don't think you will be able to tell much from looking at the trunnion as not too much has to be removed, depending on the model. but here you go....

I threw in a pic of how the mag should look when the trunnion is correct.

#19 ·
Sorry Mark. They were supposed to be up on a website that isn't up yet either. I have orders from 5 forums and 3 email accounts, trying to keep up with them all is more difficult than you can imagine. Please send me an email at renegadebuck@gmail.com and I'll send them to you. They are usually too long for pm boxes. Thanks

#22 ·
Ever since the first guy took off with my plans, I haven't really drawn any more as I know what I want and just build it. When I had the bodies laser cut, I only drew the body, and not the rest as I put everything together pretty much on the fly. I had the ones in the pic made by a machine shop. I ended up paying 75 bucks for each one in a 100 lot and none of them worked. I still had to spend around 3 hours on each one to make them work. This time I make them all except for the laser cutting in the beginning, and I have the cost down to where I can sell them for $76 shipped.
My quality control is it has to shoot 3 mags without any problems, and every adapter goes through this before it's shipped.
Sorry about the plans. if I ever get time, I'll try and reverse a set, but honestly, it's not going to be until I sell out of this group of 100 as this will be the last ones I make.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.