Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My version of adapting a .223 to use AR mags

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default My version of adapting a .223 to use AR mags

I have been using an adapter on this rifle since I purchased it over a year ago. I've made several versions, This is the latest that I'm finally happy with. I wanted a mag release that I could work with my right hand and change mags like an AR. I didn't want to be limited to only one type of mag. I couldn't find what I wanted so I made it. What do you think?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Great idea. Post the build details please. I'm sure that there will be quite a bit of interest.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by resting View Post
    Great idea. Post the build details please. I'm sure that there will be quite a bit of interest.

The build and fitting takes about 4-6 hours per adapter. If you can weld, I could explain, but if not, you couldn't build it. I usually TIG mine, but you could use a MIG if you're careful. The metal is thin and easily burned through.
    The cost of the steel isn't all that much, but the time.... If you had to pay someone to do it, It would cost more than the $125 shipped CONUS that I charge for them. If you or anyone else wants the instructions, PM me and I'll be glad to furnish them to your email as they're fairly long. I didn't think about taking pics of the build, so I have to talk you through it.(I didn't have a camera at the time either)

Feedback Score

Way cool!!

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Looks like a marketable part

I think you should seriously consider drawing it up, and getting quotes on a 100 piece custom run. You would be surprised at how inexpensive it can be.

I will PM you, and look at the instructions. Pics, very detailed ones of the piece off of the rifle, and with and without the mag inserted would be worth many thousands of words. Anyway, my thought is that you could get them made for about $25-35 each raw, you add finishing touches, and sell for $85-90. Just a thought. I have done this kind of thing with 1895 Mauser rifles that I converted to 7.62x39, and used single stack AK mags on them. Making the mag well took me 12-15 hours, and lots of mistakes and fitting. Once I got a professional involved, the process was reduced to $25.00 each and a two week turn-around. Fitting was a 15 minute process.

Just my $0.02
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

I would like to see your plans for this.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    I think you should seriously consider drawing it up, and getting quotes on a 100 piece custom run. You would be surprised at how inexpensive it can be.

I will PM you, and look at the instructions. Pics, very detailed ones of the piece off of the rifle, and with and without the mag inserted would be worth many thousands of words. Anyway, my thought is that you could get them made for about $25-35 each raw, you add finishing touches, and sell for $85-90. Just a thought. I have done this kind of thing with 1895 Mauser rifles that I converted to 7.62x39, and used single stack AK mags on them. Making the mag well took me 12-15 hours, and lots of mistakes and fitting. Once I got a professional involved, the process was reduced to $25.00 each and a two week turn-around. Fitting was a 15 minute process.

Just my $0.02

I do need to do something. They are really wanted and I can't make them fast enough. I would like someone else to make them and just pay me a % of the sales. I didn't know they would be so popular. I'm more of a designer than a manufacturer. If you do the machining right to the rifle, you don't need a bullet guide. I have people standing in line for the .308 to FAL adapter and don't have time to finish it for building these and my regular job.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by renegadebuck View Post
    I do need to do something. They are really wanted and I can't make them fast enough. I would like someone else to make them and just pay me a % of the sales. I didn't know they would be so popular. I'm more of a designer than a manufacturer. If you do the machining right to the rifle, you don't need a bullet guide. I have people standing in line for the .308 to FAL adapter and don't have time to finish it for building these and my regular job.
    Dude!

I get it!!!

My advise: Design, publish for comments, revise, re-publish. That would be the "open source" way. If you want to get some $$$, you will have to design, simplify, re-design, and get bids and quotes for qty. 100. Make the investment, and sell. No simple shortcuts to commerce!

I do think there is a market for this device. If you can get it under $65.00 and it is installable with only minor filing/fitting, you will have a winner!

Good Luck!!!!
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have been wanting some thing simmular for a regular AK 223 also been thinking that making them for sale would be a good idea. a saiga 308 addapter would be a hit.

I do think there is a market for this device. If you can get it under $65.00 and it is installable with only minor filing/fitting, you will have a winner!
    agreed

when they used to sell complete AR recivers for $90 you would think a adapter could be made for around $50. Id love to see close up picks. does yours latch into a standard ak mag release??? Im very interested. I want to put a ar drum into my 223 varmit build.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    Dude!

I get it!!!

My advise: Design, publish for comments, revise, re-publish. That would be the "open source" way. If you want to get some $$$, you will have to design, simplify, re-design, and get bids and quotes for qty. 100. Make the investment, and sell. No simple shortcuts to commerce!

Good Luck!!!!

Thanks. They are selling now for $120 shipped and I have more orders than I can build. Installation on the customers gun is a no brainer, it just snaps on like an AK mag

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.