Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Thread: New machined Adapter for .223

Feedback Score

Any word from the man himself?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I spoke (PM) renegadebuck the end of last week. He had some appointments this week with some people to see about producing again for him. It's a catch-22. The item is obviously quite specialized. Trying to get someone to do all that metal work and yet not charge more than people will pay for them, and still make a profit. I'm expecting an update in the next couple of days. I know it's tough waiting. But I really believe it's worth the wait. If not, I would have already purchased an MSA. Not that the MSA is a bad product, just that I believe that renegade's is better. I'm holding out. If I hear anything new I'll let you know, or I'm sure renegade will post something to all of us.

Feedback Score

My wife works with Autocad as an HVAC and mechanical drafter. I wonder if she could draft him a CAD file so all he has to do is hand the file off to them for the C+C machines... I'll have to ask him if he's willing. She might need a physical, but I have seen her draft them off of hand drawn schematics. Not to gush, but she's pretty awesome at it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jaredin View Post
    My wife works with Autocad as an HVAC and mechanical drafter. I wonder if she could draft him a CAD file so all he has to do is hand the file off to them for the C+C machines... I'll have to ask him if he's willing. She might need a physical, but I have seen her draft them off of hand drawn schematics. Not to gush, but she's pretty awesome at it.

I'm not sure a CAD drawing would help, but I'm pretty stupid on those matters. The part can't be made from aluminum because of the way it connects to the rifle. Aluminum would be too brittle and break, I'm afraid. It has to be laser cut out of steel, and then TIG welded to form. I took drafting in 1970, and know how to make front, side, and top drawings, but not the exploded flat for laser (or EDM) cutting. Everytime I take my drawings to a shop, they look at me like I handed them a scroll or something. I always have to take the last adapter I have and the rifle to show them what I want made. I would advise you not to get old if the alternative wasn't worse. I'm waiting to hear, from another shop I took the drawings to yesterday, on a price. I hope that will be good and we can get rolling. The last guy wanted 20 bucks each just to cut them out. That's with me furnishing the steel! That didn't include the magcatch or stability rail. I don't know what he was smoking, but he should've shared!

Feedback Score

Depending on the fab shop, CAD can be used for any C+C machine, regaredless of material. It's the gold standard of C+C, but I guess I don't know if he's using a C+C machine or not. It's your blueprint 3D.

You should ask them if they can use 2009/2010 CAD files. If they can, we're good to go. From that point on, whenever you asked a shop to make some, you'd just need to simply pass the file off.

I'm pretty sure she can do it with exact measurements (calipers) and a rough drafting sketch, maybe an exploded view and each plane.

I don't know. All I know is I'm excited for it. Can't wait.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Depending on the fab shop, CAD can be used for any C+C machine, regaredless of material. It's the gold standard of C+C, but I guess I don't know if he's using a C+C machine or not. It's your blueprint 3D.

You should ask them if they can use 2009/2010 CAD files. If they can, we're good to go. From that point on, whenever you asked a shop to make some, you'd just need to simply pass the file off.

I'm pretty sure she can do it with exact measurements (calipers) and a rough drafting sketch, maybe an exploded view and each plane.

I don't know. All I know is I'm excited for it. Can't wait.

It's not 3D, just drawn in front, side, top style of old. So far, I've only been able to get it laser cut, not CNC I don't think. I'm not as fluent on the machines in a shop today, or their needs. Give me electrical or mechanical drawings and I can assemble or wire anything, but I haven't had to make parts in 30 years so I'm not up on anything computerized to manufacture parts. I grew up in the textile belt, so I can fix machines that make that, but I haven't any experience in a modern machine shop.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Well hopefully the machinist that you are in talks with, will be able to cut and build your design within your price/profit model. To be honest, based on your previous units, the simplicity of installing (Compared to the potentially destructive mods required of the "Other" brand), I'd be willing to even pay a little more than what you were initially charging, which was Equal to the "other" brand. Not saying what you should charge, just that based on past testimonials, I think it would be worth it. At least for me. But building just a couple aren't where you can make money. I understand that. You need to be able to manufacture in such a way as to sell a lot of them to people willing to pay your price. What I'm willing to pay and what others are, can be 2 totally different things. Either way, it's your design and product, or I'll probably not convert to AR magazines at all. Thanks renegadebuck for working so hard at trying to find a means of producing these adapters for us. Later.... Mike.....

Feedback Score

I have to go with Christcorp on this. I will not go with the other adapter it is yours or nothing. If the price is different so be it. look how long and how high S12 drum mags were. Im still in for 2. what is the old saying.... Good things take a little longer....

Feedback Score

Oh, I see what you're saying, renegade. My heart is set on this product, come whatever price may. Just keep us posted. Sooner is better even if it's a higher price.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Oh, I see what you're saying, renegade. My heart is set on this product, come whatever price may. Just keep us posted. Sooner is better even if it's a higher price.

I appreciate that. Thank you. I know what this should cost to do, based on a quote from another shop that didn't know how to do a spread drawing either. I'm going on the idea that he was really low, and doubling his price. This is and would be fair. It only takes a couple of hours to cut the pieces and after all, we just want to rent the machine for a couple of hours, not buy it. I want everyone to be able to come out a winner, just not a lone winner.
    I don't think the machine cost anymore than my shop, and I rent it for much less than $1k/hr.

I just noticed, in the classifieds, that Coils is selling his adapter if anyone is interested.

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.