Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: New machined Adapter for .223

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by UCPOPO View Post
    Brand new to the forum. Im intrested in one of your adapters but would prefer to have it installed by a pro. Do you do installs? Im a police officer in Oklahoma and want to tinker around with the idea or using my M4 mags on a AK that can take a beating. Thanks

No, sorry. I'm not a gunsmith. I'll gladly fix your squad car as I am a mechanic.

Most gunsmiths should be able to do you a fine job, although so should you if you are mechanical minded.
    .223 adapter instructions
    www.christcorp.com/renegadeadapter.pdf

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by renegadebuck View Post
    Thank you! I'm glad everything worked out for you. Any trouble please let me know.

I'm thinking of selling them in kit form for the inventive out there. 20 bucks + shipping. What do you guys think?
    pm on the way. muttman

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by muttman View Post
    pm on the way. muttman

reply sent.

Feedback Score

Mike,

I had an initial issue with the adapter. Because it fits the GI magazine so tightly, I didn't realize that the magazine catch wasn't seating in the magazine slot. So I ended up grinding the lugs some more and the front of the magazine lips sits on the lugs and it feeds and ejects properly for about 6 rounds. What I'm discovering, is that the magazine doesn't sit quite vertical in the magazine well. If I hold the magazine back and cycle the rounds, I can cycle a whole magazine reliably; if I don't, I get 5 or 6 rounds and then have to re-seat the magazine. Now I have a couple questions for you:
    1. Since the front of the feed lips are obviously high enough to feed the rounds, have I ground it enough?
    2. Is the magazine supposed to sit level (seems like it should) and if it doesn't do I need to look for another problem?
    3. There is only a sliver of metal between the magazine release tab (the tab for the AR mag release) and the top of the adapter and it is bulged upward. Is this normal?

Thanks

Wayne
    When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout... R.A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk2001 View Post
    Mike,

I had an initial issue with the adapter. Because it fits the GI magazine so tightly, I didn't realize that the magazine catch wasn't seating in the magazine slot. So I ended up grinding the lugs some more and the front of the magazine lips sits on the lugs and it feeds and ejects properly for about 6 rounds. What I'm discovering, is that the magazine doesn't sit quite vertical in the magazine well. If I hold the magazine back and cycle the rounds, I can cycle a whole magazine reliably; if I don't, I get 5 or 6 rounds and then have to re-seat the magazine. Now I have a couple questions for you:
    1. Since the front of the feed lips are obviously high enough to feed the rounds, have I ground it enough?
    2. Is the magazine supposed to sit level (seems like it should) and if it doesn't do I need to look for another problem?
    3. There is only a sliver of metal between the magazine release tab (the tab for the AR mag release) and the top of the adapter and it is bulged upward. Is this normal?

Thanks

Wayne

Wayne,
    One at a time.

1. I have no way to tell how much is ground off, but better to check out the possible fixes below to start with.
    2. No the mag is slightly lower in the rear so the bolt doesn't hit the primer in the middle. Standard protocol is to only touch the top 1/3 of the round to start it moving.
    3. It sounds like your mag catch is too long and catching the follower, causing the rounds to misfeed. This also causes the bulge as the mag being forced into the adapter against the magcatch can't slide out the slot, so it bends the little keeper tab. Another possibility is the adapter is not firmly against the bottom of the receiver causing the rear of the mag to hang down too low. You will have to adjust these two things to fit your rifle as I didn't(/couldn't, as the magcatch wasn't complete) spend the time tuning it to a rifle, thus a kit.
    I think you will find that the mag is not fitting as tight as you think in the adapter. I believe the adapter is slightly off center causing the mag to rub the narrow part of the magwell of your receiver. Some rifles have a slightly narrower front than others. It may be necessary to hit this part of your magwell with a file slightly. Look in the bottom of your magwell with the adapter on, but mag out. You shouldn't be able to see the edges of the receiver as the mag is almost as wide as the adapter. If you can see the narrow part of the receiver, you will need to hit the edges you see with a file. Maybe 3 licks per side or so until the mag isn't touching them.

Here are some measurements for the magcatch I start with. It should be about .038 from the edge of the catch to the outside of the 1/8" z bar you welded it to. This is a good starting point. Yours may need to be slightly shorter, but should not need to be longer as it can and will interfere with the mag follower. Grind it at a slight angle starting at the bottom as it will make for easier mag loading. The rear of the adapter should be firmly against the bottom of the receiver, and no taller than the blank adapter was when I shipped it (I believe it was 1.935, but I'll check tomorrow and be sure and tell you.) You can adjust the rear height-to-receiver tightness by bending the tab(of the adapter) that is held by the paddle magcatch of your rifle.

All these little hiccups you are experiencing, I experience on every one before I cure them and box them for sale. I usually go through 90 rounds in each adapter and a few hours of fine tuning. Imagine doing 200 at a time.

Feedback Score

Appreciate the info and I'll troubleshoot, but this one is from the last batch of completed adapters you sold. Bought it in April, I believe.

Where I'm seeing wear on the mag well is on the rear and sides, but I'll check it out again.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk2001 View Post
    Appreciate the info and I'll troubleshoot, but this one is from the last batch of completed adapters you sold. Bought it in April, I believe.

Where I'm seeing wear on the mag well is on the rear and sides, but I'll check it out again.

Sorry, I get confused about who gets what. If it was one of the finished ones, it worked repeatedly before shipping, so I would still check for centering. If you remove the adapter and insert a mag in it is it still tight? It should be loose enough for the mag to fall out when the magcatch is pressed. If it isn't, send it back and I'll send you another. Make sure the magcatch spring is holding the magcatch closed and that the mag isn't just coming loose from the recoil. I have had a few springs, that for some reason, have not held tight enough after a few months.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by renegadebuck View Post
    Sorry, I get confused about who gets what. If it was one of the finished ones, it worked repeatedly before shipping, so I would still check for centering. If you remove the adapter and insert a mag in it is it still tight? It should be loose enough for the mag to fall out when the magcatch is pressed. If it isn't, send it back and I'll send you another. Make sure the magcatch spring is holding the magcatch closed and that the mag isn't just coming loose from the recoil. I have had a few springs, that for some reason, have not held tight enough after a few months.
    I'll be sending you the adapter back. The new GI mag won't fall out when the magcatch is pressed; it'll barely fall out if the magcatch is pressed and the adapter is shaken vigorously. Here are some pictures of the wear patterns on the adapter and the magazine itself. Keep in mind this was a brand-new-in-a package magazine when I bought it so all wear indicators are from the fitting process. In case you can't see it, the wear is primarily on the rear of the magazine at the spot-welded flange and on the front of the magazine across that spot-weld flange. It seems as if the adapter is just a bit too tight front-to-rear.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'm packing you one up now.

Feedback Score

I'll try to ship this one off on Monday.

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak mag adapter 223

renegade buck saiga 223 ar mag adapter

saiga 223 mag adapter
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.