Gunco Forums banner

New machined Adapter for .223

69K views 348 replies 65 participants last post by  Warwickben 
#1 ·
Here's what the machined adapter looks like. It fits most stamped AK platforms.

See less See more
#296 ·
Hello all. I hope it's okay to ask in this thread instead of making a new one.
I don't post here often as you can see...

Can we get some customers to post more pics of this adapter installed on their rifles?

I am looking at both adapters on the market right now and just want to make the best informed decision.

Also, are Pmags working any better?

Thanks.

#304 ·
I have a new batch. They should work with thermolds. Worst case you may need a stronger spring. You can also cut a slot where it should be for the magcatch to grab the mag as I don't think the mag has a slot, just an indention, but I'm not sure. The stronger spring works for that problem, but some folks don't like the strong spring.

#305 ·
Well i guess it is worth a try. If you could PM me, and let me know what I need to do, I will get the payment sent over ASAP. I was looking into getting a Magnolia State Armory one, but then realized they didn't work well with dimpled recievers, and I have only seen bad feedback about them. Then I heard about you, and from what it looks like yours would work fairly easily with a dimpled reciever, and you have very good feedback. If it all works out well, I will probably be ordering several more in the near future.

#311 ·
renegadebuck - I'm finally getting around to getting this fitted to a SAR3 and all looks like it is good other than where the mag release is (the pin/rivet holding the mag release). If I remove some material from the mag adapter in the small area to clear this "pin/rivet" - do you think it would cause any problems with everything lining up? I attached a couple of pictures to show what I'm referring to.

On the norinco's I have I just need to remove just a little material in the front of the magwell (not the trunnion but the receiver) for the adapter to line up straight.

All is coming along good otherwise. :)

Attachments

#314 ·
Here are some pics of the mag adapter installed:

Pics of the mag inserted without the mag adapter:

And the mag inserted into the mag adapter in the SAR3:

If I can get a break to work on it later - I'll see if I can troubleshoot it some more. Or if you have some suggestions - I'll gladly listen. :)

#315 ·
Will the bolt catch the rounds and load at all? The rear should be a bit lower than the front as the bolt should only catch the top 1/3-1/4 of the round so as to not produce an AD.
Try it with dummy rounds by hand. Put the piston and bolt in but not the spring. Insert the mag and cycle the bolt quickly. Does it load?

#316 ·
I'll give it a try, but as of now the mag isn't latching with the mag catch. The mag needs to go in further for it to latch.

#321 ·
renegadebuck - I've been doing some troubleshooting on this end and removed some trunnion material where it looked like the AR mag was rubbing. The mag catch is only about an 1/8" from engaging the slot in the mag now. The front of the mag doesn't appear to be binding in the front of the adapter now. Now if I can only figure why the back of the mag is stopping where it is...

#323 ·
email sent. :D

#324 ·
Just an update for those interested in renegadebuck's adapters. I've been using them for quite a while, and am still very happy. I don't get on the forums as much as I would like, but I am still out there shooting. My son recently graduated from the air force academy and we had all our family out for the graduation and vacation. Most are from New Jersey and they never get to shoot. Of course; other than the air force academy, the #1 thing they all wanted to do was shoot guns.

We went through a lot of guns, and the 2 biggest "Fun Guns" for the new jersey family was my S&W M&P15 AR15 and my Saiga 223/5.56. And of course, using renegadebuck's adapter, I was able to mix and match all my magazines. For what it's worth, in 3 days of shooting, the Saiga alone with the renegadebuck adapter went through 1300 rounds. There wasn't 1 malfunction or feeding problem (magazine related). The adapter worked perfectly.

I saw some questions in previous posts, and I will make mention of 2 things for those interested. If you are going to get a thermold or similar molded magazine, the indentation (Instead of a cut out) on the magazine doesn't allow the magazine to stay firmly in the adapter. I suggest a dremel or drill and carefully cut out the notch to provide an actual hole. Or do what I do, and only use the metal USGI magazines with the adapter. I use plenty of thermold 20 round magazines, but I use those in my AR15.

Second thing is if you are shooting from a bench rest, try and stick with 20 round magazines instead of 30 round. With larger magazines, and leaning on a bench, some shooters have a tendency to let the rifle rest on the magazine. This pushes the magazine further up and can cause feeding issues. This has happened with regular AR15 and magazines, and it's more prone with the saiga and the renegadebuck adapter. If leaning on a bench, use 20 round magazines so the rifle doesn't rest on the magazine and push it in further.

But the price renegadebuck charges for the adapter has paid itself back to me many times. I already had AR15/M16 magazines for my AR's. 3 Saiga magazines cost more than the adapter. And I buy AR15/M16 magazines all day for under $10. $8 for 20 rounders. And you can't beat Mike's customer service. I don't receive anything for my endorsement. Simply a very satisfied customer passing the word on. Later... mike...

#337 ·
So here's my review: Get the big harbor freight die grinder, I think it has a low and high speed switch on it. I've had mine forever, I bought a red rock or two at HF to go with it. Like he told me, I put the adaptor on, tried to insert a mag, and clearanced where it needed to fit like the original mag. I think it took an hour or two. I'm sure a mill would produce a better result, but what can you do. I used some dyekem to see that I was getting even surface engagement by the mags(OK, I used rustoleum) to try and make it nice and flat, but meh I just did O K .

Final product: I tried a dozen old AR mags I've had forever(with new followers) and all of them worked flawlessly. I put the mag in, and have to give it a little slap to make it snap in to the catch. I could probably remove more and would be able to put it right in, but the mags fit snug with about as much wobble as the originals, so why mess with something that works, I figure.

I don't think its very likely the trunion will crack. I guess anything could happen, but then that applies to everything. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I went from a rifle that had two mags that cost me $49 each, to a rifle that has a dozen mags that cost me $8 each. Much more practical! The release works great, drops the mag free, fits tight, what's not to like?

Thanks Renegadebuck! My only complaint is I really had to track you down from other forums. I'll do my part to help by posting my review on Calguns. Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.