Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Finished Saiga 308

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I used a 74 GT because the one that came OEM on the Saiga was a 74 type GT (no vent holes and w/o HG retainers) but a ventilated 47 may be a better idea. FWIW, the 74 GT gives 100% cycling everytime. I never experimented with a 47 GT

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I have both 74 vented and non vented. Can you see an advantage with the 74 vented?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Only things I can think of is that vented would shorten/lessen the initial impulse force to the bolt carrier which might lead to short stroking with certain brands of ammo. On the positive side, the vented should lessen the amount of crap blown down the gas tube during cycling and may lessen the impact force of the bolt carrier on the rear trunnion at full stroke.

The different type gas tubes should be just a drop in piece such that you can try both if you want to experiment. I just went with the non vented because that's the configuration that the Saiga had when purchased and figured there was a good reason for it but would be interesting to see what effect the vents had on cycling.

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Does it have a bullet guide or did you install one??

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

No & no. It doesn't need one due to the shape of the lip on the Saiga OEM magazine and also on the Sure Fire brand 25 round aftermarket mags which act as the bullet guide. I don't believe there is even any room on the trunnion with the placement of the barrel to even put a bullet guide in if you wanted to.

It's not like the 7.62 Saiga where there are mil surp magazines that can be used and you can install a bullet guide. I do not know of any mil surp 308 mags that are configured such that would allow use in the Saiga 308 even if a bullet guide would fit on the trunnion.

BTW: The Saiga 308 uses a rivet to initialize bolt rotation versus using a ramp on a bullet guide

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

ok, good. I think I have everything ready to go, now to order a rifle.

Thanks!

Feedback Score

Outstanding, great job

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

OK, another question.

On the FSB, did you turn down the barrel only or did you enlarge the ID of the FSB also?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Barrel only down to slight interference fit such that Bulgarian 74 FSB was snug when pressed into place. Required about as much force on the press as needed to press in a Bulgy 74 trunnion pin.....not much. The barrel was turned down to where just about all the original half holes from the original FSB were removed....only a small part of them remained afterwords.

If ya can't kill it with a .308, you can always gut 'em
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did I do that?

Feedback Score

I took a east german hand guard retainer cut off the part that slides over the barrel then made a bushing the same o.d. as the barrel. I split the bushing in the middle then welded up 2 U-shaped sides drilling them and fitting them with a 8-24 machine screw to pinch it on to the barrel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.