Thread: pressing off the fsb and gas block on 5.45x39

Feedback Score

Default pressing off the fsb and gas block on 5.45x39

Has anyone been able to press off the front sight block and gas block without damaging them. I have heard people drill the indentations out and the press, or cut them up be bottom side with a dremel, but I would rather not ruin them. Anyone.....

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

It's not difficult. The indentations are just pins, they knock out with a punch.

The blocks are an interference fit of a few thousandths, if you don't have a press the barrel can be supported in a vice by the block and the protected muzzle end hit with a hammer.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

The 5.45x39 saigas have "press points" that are pushed into the metal of the gb and fsb along the sidie center line axis of the barrel on each side. (in addition to the pins at the bottom). The barrel itself has indentations drilled into it to accept the dimples made by the pressed in sides of the gas block and the front sight block. Someone said they had heard that the dimples will break off when presseed and I have heard someone else say they just pressed right off. Not sure whether to just destroy them by cutting or drilling then removing or try and salvage them at the risk of damaging the barrel.

Feedback Score

I used a vise and a ball joint puller with no probs,it was 7.62 but i dont think that matters....

Here it is after i finished it

Feedback Score

How exactly does that work with a vise and ball joint puller?? BTW, I like the AK, pretty much exactly what mine will look like when I'm finished.

Feedback Score

When I removed my FSB I cut the sides at the dimples to remove it... The orginal was destroyed btt I got it off. I was putting on a Krebs gas FSB. Plan on putting a new one on if you plan on taking the old one off.

just my 2 cents

Feedback Score

Smile

i drilled out the press points, put the barrel in my vise and drove the fsb off with a punch and bfh. did not destroy the fsb, but probably not useable anymore. barrel was not threaded. got a bulgarian fsb to put on. had to drill new relief in bottom of barrel for pins to hold fsb and gb. not really big deal. makes my saiga feel and look like the real thing!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.