Thread: Renegadebuck adapter review

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Renegadebuck adapter review

I wrote up my experience with renegade's saiga AR .223 adapter a few weeks ago, but it was tainted with some of my stupidity. So, in the last 2 days, I've put a few rounds through it and wanted to give my impression.

First, let me say, when you buy an adapter from Renegadebuck, there's 3 things to remember.

1) You get excellent support from a really nice guy who's there to help you all the way.
    2) Don't get impatient like I did and try and "Anticipate" the modifications you need to do to your gun, and try and and do them prior to getting the adapter. Wait until you have the adapter in hand. The minor modifications will go so much smoother. (This was my stupidity I mentioned earlier).
    3) Renegade gives great instructions. Follow them, and it will be smooth sailing. Whether you mill it or use a dremel, which is what I used, it will go great.

Anyway, Renegadebuck is sending me a small replacement piece to fix a SNAFU that I created. But in the meantime, I did a temporary fix. Having said all that, there isn't much I can say except: The adapter is a breeze to install (If you're patient and follow instructions), and it works "Most Excellent" (In the words of Bill and Ted). Today, I loaded up 15 "Different" AR-15 30 round magazines that I have on hand. I loaded no less than 20, and up to 30 rounds in each magazine. I shot approximately 350 rounds through my Saiga. I did not have 1 malfunction out of any of the magazines. I shot slow deliberate target shots, and I shot some rapid fire "damn this is fun" shots. All was good. Not one feeding or ejecting problem. All magazines stayed in the adapter firmly.

I shot Mostly Tula Russian 55 grain steel case FMJ ammo. But I also shot about 20 rounds of Herters 55 grain steel case Hollow Points, 40 rounds of Fiocchi 55 grain brass Pointed Soft Points, and 30 rounds of military 5.56 62 grain surplus ammo. No problems feeding whatsoever. (And that's actually surprising, because the saiga .223 is known to clog up in the chamber area after shooting a lot of steel case russian ammo). But I had no issues whatsoever.

And at 100 yards, with a reflex sight with no magnification, (Basically a red dot type sight), I put all my shots on target as I planned. So in a nutshell, I am extremely pleased. I am not writing this because of some ties I have with Renegadebuck. I've never even met him. Although, he makes you feel like you've been friends for years. Matter of fact, I bought the adapter used from another forum member who was changing out his configurations and didn't need the adapter any longer. So there is no conflict of interest here. But I must say however, that Renegadebuck is even going out of his way to replace the piece that I need, even though I didn't buy it directly from him. You can't ask for any better service. He's answered all my PM's and emails, and he's even talked me through figuring out how to fix my snafu.

Renegadebuck is gearing up to go back into production; according to his most recent post; and I just wanted to say that I could not have been any more pleased with his adapter. With the adapter in hand, start to finish, you can have the adapter mounted properly and have AR magazines fitted properly in less than an hour. Just remember to be patient and wait till you get the adapter in hand before doing any changes. A big thumbs up to Renegade buck and his adapter. Ohhh. P.S. I did also throw 20 rounds into one of my Saiga .223 magazines. I removed the adapter (2 seconds literally); put the Saiga magazine in; and it fired perfectly also for all 20 rounds. Put the Renegade adapter back in. (2 seconds literally) and fired the last magazine of 30; flawlessly. Anyway, thanks Renegade for a great product.

Feedback Score

I have the original(gen1?) Renegadebuck adaptor. it installed easily without very much mod to the rifle.(minor machining) I did however make my own custom step down mag release instead of the nut. I was going to order that other adaptor to try it also...but opted out after all the he said he said crap.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I've been meaning to make a more recent comment, so I'm glad that gunwolf added a post to this thread; so I didn't have to start another thread, or look like I was bumping my own.

I received my Renegadebuck Gen I Saiga/AR Mag adapter last summer. You saw my initial review above. I also mentioned that Renegadebuck was going to send me a replacement part to fix something that "I DID" wrong. At the time, renegade was in the process of getting his 2nd generation about completed. Upon completion, and ready to ship, renegade asked that instead of sending me the replacement part I needed, if I'd mind if he sent me an entire new generation model. This way I could also evaluate the new model. Of course I was excited. "As I mentioned in my first post, you get EXCELLENT service from the renegade. He takes care of his customers". Anyway, I received the new adapter back around November. "Before the holidays". I had a chance to shoot a couple mags through it, but not enough time to give it a thorough testing.

The week before christmas, I tested it on 3 straight days in a row. I also had a chance this week to test it for 2 more days. In those 5 days of testing, I can honestly say that I put in about 700 rounds through it. I picked up another .223 for christmas; "An M&P15OR AR/M4". Sorry, but the price was too good to pass up. $1069 normal; retailer had it for $949; had a 3 day christmas sale with two hundred off, so had it for $749. Then, S&W had a military and police appreciation $100 rebate. Final price was $649. (Sorry, I still LOVE my saiga .223, but I couldn't say no to the S&W M&P15 for that price.) Anyway; even considering the number of rounds in the M&P, I am sure I put about 700 through the saiga.

First, most important thing. NOT 1 ROUND FAILED. No failed to feed, eject, fire, etc... Next; I shot half PMC bronze and the other half a mixture of Tula Russian Steel case, MFS Russian Zinc Plated Steel case, and Silver Bear Zinc plated steel case. The Saiga; using the Renegadebuck AR mag adapter, fed ALL the ammo perfectly. Mind you, the generation I adapter was also outstanding, but I had to do a little tweaking.

Besides the construction, which only had minor changes from generation I, the thing I noticed that was different between the two generations, was the front of the adapter; top part that touches the base of the Saiga's magwell, seemed to be slightly higher than the rear part. (Where the Saiga's mag catch locks it down.) Basically, if you look at it from the side, the front of the adapter was flush with the magwell, but the rear was slightly a little lower. I say slightly, as in a "Pubic hair". As in you can barely see light through it, but no light from the front. I bring this up because, whether it was designed this way intentionally, or just out of coincidence, in my opinion, it actually makes the adapter perform BETTER than generation I. WHY???? Pray Tell!!! Simple. It gives the magazine that's inserted, just a very slight front upward tilt. We're talking almost not noticeable. But once the rifle is put together, and the bolt is put back in and putting pressure down on the magazine, this slight tilt makes the round perfectly level coming out of the magazine, and right into the chamber.

Mind you, I never had any real issues with the generation I adapter. However; like most guns, the saiga was a little picky with certain ammo. Mainly, if the chamber got too dirty, I could have some feeding problems. But that's the nature of the saiga + Russian ammo beast. But with the renegadebuck Generation II, and the better angle of assent; it didn't matter if the saiga's chamber was dirty or not. All the ammo when right in. Between the 5 days of shooting, I cleaned the saiga after the first 400 rounds. I then cleaned it after the 2nd 300 rounds. The Renegadebuck Generation II worked perfectly.

Now maybe the whole angle thing on the adapter is just me, and possibly my gun. Maybe too many beers. Like I said: It may or may not have been intended to be like this. Plus; if you didn't know what you were looking for, you'd never notice what I'm talking about. Let's just suffice it to say: "In my opinion, the Generation II is BETTER than the Generation I; and I never had any problems with the generation I".

Anyway; if you don't mind doing, or having done the little bit of minor work on the trunnion tabs so the AR mag can seat a little deeper, then the Renegadebuck Gen II AR/Saiga Mag Adapter is definitely for you. You get great product at a great price from a great person. And he stands behind what he sells. And remember; when you order your adapter from Renegadebuck, don't get anxious and try and do ANY PREP work on the trunnion until you have received the magazine adapter. The biggest problem with ANY AK or Variant, is their quality control. No two rifles seem to be identical. While technically, you can simply take an AR magazine, hold it in the magwel, and grind until the mag touches the rail; I find that it's better to put the adapter on; slide in the AR magazine, SEE where the magazine touches the tabs on the trunnion (I assumed you field stripped the saiga first); then once you see when it actually touches, you'll understand 100% what needs to be done. And you do that a little at a time, until the magazine locks into place in the adapter; just like a normal AR magazine is suppose to. Anyway; that's my suggestion and my review. You can't go wrong with renegadebuck. And FWIW: If you want to see a copy of the instruction, I have a link to Renegadebucks instructions in my signature block. Remember, my suggestion of waiting to get the adapter, and putting in the magazine to see where it needs to have the trunnion worked, isn't in Renegade's instructions. That's just my opinion. Anyway; Take care. Mike.....

Feedback Score

Lookin' forward to receiving my adapter for my Saiga .223. I would love being able to use original Saiga or AR mags, which I have many more of.
    Thanks for the good info. I'll be back to read this again when I start my installation.
    Petroman

Search tags for this page

renegade buck adapter
renegade buck adapter for sale
renegade buck ar mag adapter

renegade buck mag adapter

renegade saiga 223 ar mag adapter
renegadebuck

renegadebuck adapter

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.