Gunco Forums banner

My Saiga 5.56

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  drdeathofca 
#1 ·
This gun was converted by PRK in Caliornia. I added the bullet guide to use Galil mags.

I was unhappy with any of the hand guard options available. I was not looking to put rails on the gun but with little better options I remembered that I had an old Surefire M83 railed hand guard set in the safe. So for giggles I put it on.

I realized something cool. Here is the cool thing about it. The Old Surefire M83 quad system does not require a lower hand guard retainer to mount, NEVER DID. The bottom and top rails lock together rock solid but do not touch or mount to the barrel unlike other designs currently out there.

The barrel pretty much floats there. The BAD NEWS is that the Surefire M83 is as rare as hen's teeth and command big $ when found.

I am waiting to thread the muzzle next week. I took it out today and it shot like a dream fed handloads, factory, and soft points accurately and launches the spent casings about 40 feet in the 2 'O clock position.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks nice, thanks for the pics.

Since the hand guard basicly is a floater, what keeps it from flopping around, is the upper in a standard gas tube and the lower hangs from it?

OH and welcome to the forum, if I didn't mention it somewhere else already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.