Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Saiga .223 conversion question

Feedback Score

I realize this is my first post in this forum, however I do have 25-30 Saiga conversions/restorations in shotgun and rifle of all calibers under my belt and half a century of gunsmithing
    The spring your talking about is the dis-connector spring.

I always reinstall the BHO on all the Saiga jobs I have done. They came that way and after I go through all the restoration I put em back that way. You can purchase a unmodified ( modified means the hammer has had about .100 removed on the right side to clear the BHO) or you can buy one already modified that just drops in. Savings is miniscule compared to time and materials. Reuse your axis pins.

I prefer the plate over the Shepards Crook. But it is entirely up to you.

I just buy the kit(s) from Greg at Carolina Shooters as piecemeal parts and then having to modify those parts just is not worth the extra time IMHO.

Just take your time with basic tools and you will be fine. To thread a barrel/install a muzzle/move the FCG/Pistol Grip/Sand/Paint/Folding stock (whatever you choose) takes me about 3 hours with lots of breaks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Sarge View Post
    I realize this is my first post in this forum, however I do have 25-30 Saiga conversions/restorations in shotgun and rifle of all calibers under my belt and half a century of gunsmithing
    The spring your talking about is the dis-connector spring.

I always reinstall the BHO on all the Saiga jobs I have done. They came that way and after I go through all the restoration I put em back that way. You can purchase a unmodified ( modified means the hammer has had about .100 removed on the right side to clear the BHO) or you can buy one already modified that just drops in. Savings is miniscule compared to time and materials. Reuse your axis pins.

I prefer the plate over the Shepards Crook. But it is entirely up to you.

I just buy the kit(s) from Greg at Carolina Shooters as piecemeal parts and then having to modify those parts just is not worth the extra time IMHO.

Just take your time with basic tools and you will be fine. To thread a barrel/install a muzzle/move the FCG/Pistol Grip/Sand/Paint/Folding stock (whatever you choose) takes me about 3 hours with lots of breaks.
    Sarge; thanks for the reply. So, you're saying that pics #1 and #2 are identical; and that it's just 2 different ways of holding things in? One with the crook, the other using the plate? Thanks.... mike....

Feedback Score

Yes sir.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

What he said.

Sorry to confuse you even more
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

No problem brother. I just have to decide whether to do the trigger move or not. I personally like the way it is. That's why I bought the saiga. I never liked the ergonomics of a traditional AK. The trigger set back actually was better for me. I'm not a little guy. If one of the guys interested in the rifle really wants it, and will reimburse me for the $50, I'll do it. If he doesn't seem serious about buying it, I'll probably just keep it. In which case, I'll keep it the way it is. We'll have to see. Thanks again.... Mike....

Feedback Score

I have a couple of old fart buddies that prefer the sporter configuration.
    Guns, Cars and Women are a personal choice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Sarge View Post
    I have a couple of old fart buddies that prefer the sporter configuration.
    Guns, Cars and Women are a personal choice.
    I swapped out the stock and put in a pistol grip. I just prefer the added distance of having the trigger assembly further back.

Feedback Score

I know this subject is a little old, but Had to add my 2 cents worth. I've recently converted two Saiga rifles, and had no problems. I ordered the parts from CarolinaShootersSupply.com, it came with instructions, and I went to work. I also viewed an excellent video posted on youtube.com which covered the project nicely.
    I didn't have to make any metal modifications to either of my guns, except to grind off the rivets which you replace with supplied pins. Otherwise, there was no other extra work, just stripping it down to the bare receiver and putting it back together with the new parts.
    I used the G2 trigger group, moved it forward and absolutely love it! Unlike the old 2 stage trigger, it is a 1 stage trigger and is very smooth and nice.
    Don't know if any of this helps, but since I've actually done it, I thought I'd write.

Right now I'm waiting on my magazine adapter for my .223 to use AR mags. That should be another fun project.
    Take care,
    Petroman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.