Gunco Forums banner

New project

8K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  7.62x39 
#1 ·
I just ordered a Saiga 12 from Scott at DPH (see thread) http://www.gunco.net/forums/f259/saiga-12-ga-19-bbl-589-00-a-40701/

This is a brand new platform for me, I've been looking to do something a little change of pace.
I'm going to do a conversion on it and plan to document it here. This will not be a short term project, As I said this is a new venture and I plan on taking my time and weighing all my options. I will complete it as time, money and parts availability allows.
If anybody has already done one, please post any tricks, tips, pitfalls to avoid and most important, PICS. Lets see them.:nanabang::nanabang::nanabang:

#4 ·
Max,

Sorry I missed your call today, we were out loading the trailer for the show this weekend.

The Saiga popularity is really catching on. It is the closest anyone is going to get to a complete authentic Russian AK. The conversion isnt that difficult and there are more and more items being made for them every day. We have a few things in works, we have a door breach for the 12 gauge that should be ready soon. I will have the prototype this weekend. We will finally have the production run of the Saiga muzzle brakes that will fit the 7.62x39 and the .223 without having to thread the barrel and it will not be a cheesy set screw set up. We got the first prototypes of the quad rail and tri rail for the 7.62, .308 and the .223 and they are really nice. The 12 gauge quad and tri rails will be coming very soon. I'll post pics of these as soon as we get caught up a little and get some "quality" pictures (I'll need to find someone for that.....guns OK camera" now way).

Scott

#5 ·
I just gave one of my S12s a good workout today testing some of the (relatively) cheap Taiwanese 5 round magazines that I recently purchased. I'm very happy with them; they all worked great.

I still need to do the conversion. I'm just going simple, new trigger group in the right spot, reusing the original trigger guard, and a fixed standard length stock/pg in black. I might vent the forward hand grip, but not sure yet how I'm going to do it.

A buddy of mine has an ACE stock with the cut-off tang attachment and it's nice. I like the look, but I'm not sure I want to shoot 3" magnums with my cheek on a metal tube for a buttstock!

#13 ·
I found another good link. It's a rifle conversion, but most of it will pertain to the shotty as well.
Saiga Conversion
Keep in mind that that site is the opinion of one man and has not been updated in 10+ years and there is LOTS of new ways to skin the ol' cat.

Not to mention some of the mentioned laws (and subsequent Saiga mods to follow said laws) are no longer valid.

#18 ·
I put some info about my Saiga 223 > AK-101 clone conversion up on my site here:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK101/build.htm

This thread is perfect timing - I have a Saiga12 and have yet to convert it from the Monte Carlo stock. That's one item on my list, and I am purchasing some mags from DPH this week as well. Only thing about the mags is that the "version 2" or whatever they are called are the reinforced lips, where the originals weren't reinforced and one or two out of the lot would break at the lip. The mfr seems to have no problems replacing them with no hassle to you, so this may be a minor thing. I think all of the retail outlets have the v.2 model now so this should be a non-issue.

There is also reportedly a smoke or clear mag coming soon. ;)

Now let me ask a different question - you going to reload buck/slugs or simply buy them? I'm all rigged up for shotty reloading now and I'm building a 9-hole buckshot mold to make shot reloading a bit easier vs. the Lee single-hole mold.

#23 ·
I have one coming from DPH Arms also. UPS site sez it's out for delivery. The FFL holder I always use is about 5 blocks from the Seawall in Galveston. Waiting to see if it gets delivered ???

Going to also be doing a conversion. Will be watching what you do with yours. Lots of choices. I've been thinking of a Russian black plastic sidefolder. Cut down barrel and rethread, then silver solder on muzzle break to bring it out to the legal length w/o having to go SBR route.

#25 ·
I realize that compared to my normal projects that this will not present much of a challenge. But I still want to do something a little less "plugNplay" than one of these bolt on adapters.
I plan on using a regular T nut for the PG and a modified AK TG.
It is scheduled to be delivered Today. I'll get the rivets and spotwelds drilled out this weekend and then make my final decisions.

#29 ·
I realize that compared to my normal projects that this will not present much of a challenge. But I still want to do something a little less "plugNplay" than one of these bolt on adapters.
You're like me... tinkering with it is part of the fun. Exploring the design and finding new ways to skin the proverbial cat can sometimes lead to new innovations and ideas. If I wanted "plugNplay" I'd buy a Benelli shotty and an AR-10. :D

There is a screw-on "paradox choke" (paradox meaning that it is rifled and designed to work on a smoothbore barrel) but I want to see how it patterns slugs without one before I buy that choke. I have a few reload recipes I'm going to try. I'm aiming (pun intended) for groups small enough to hit a pie plate at 100-150 yards. And from what I've read, that should be possible with a properly tweaked load. That should be good enough to hit the vitals on any 4- or 2- legged meat target. ;)

#33 ·
:rofl: That's too funny!

BTW - Get any 10 round mags for it yet ??

I've been wanting one for some time now. I did find my FFL holder. He's holdup in Baycliff at a hotel. His house in Galveston survived in good shape. Wonder if he can go pick up the Saiga at the UPS place. I'll call him tomorrow. :D

#34 · (Edited)
Sorry, I just couldn't resist LOL

Yes, I got one 10 rounder to get me started. There appears to be some other mag options on the Horizon. I want to see what pans out. Also MD has finally started shipping their 20 round drums. There is a long waiting list though. I'm still not totally sold on them though, they must be god awful heavy to tote around.

I bought one of the AGPs from Scott. It appears to be very well constructed.
After a couple of go rounds with promag (not AK, Glock and Remington both complete POS) I've steered away from US mags, but these seem to be very nice. I'll let you know after I try them out this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.