Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saiga Parts Count

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Saiga Parts Count

Yes we all know that any caliber Saiga requires the same requisite number of compliance parts for any given stamped receiver AK. Namely, 5 without muzzle brake, 6 with.

Saiga shotguns have the distinction of being an apparent exception to this mindset. The Saiga 12 shotguns require fewer US compliance parts, according to the original ATF Tech Branch response posted on the (now defunct) SoupBowl website. I managed to find an archive copy of the letter and posted it on my website.

The letters are not as readable as I'd like, and I have not yet had the time to resize them and copy the transcript:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK...partscount.htm

I have uploaded resized and sharpened photos to my gallery here, not sure how readable they are:

The moral of the story is that, according to the tech branch, the Saiga 12 shotgun has only 13 countable parts out of the box! Interesting, no? Apparently the parts are counted differently... I could count them up to 15 parts based on function. That, however, is a discussion for another time.

For the high-cap mag conversion that most people prefer, this means that you need only the mags to meet the "10 or less imported parts" quota. If ever the Tech Branch modifies this parts count, it would be a trivial matter to add more US parts.

Obviously, those who want to create the uber-cool "military" style build will need to check their parts count more closely if they were to use all Russian-built parts. Case in point - most of us will probably use a US-built trigger set simply because they are so nice and easily used. Take that, with the mags or a possible furniture conversion, and it still puts us at < 10 imported parts, even with the additional parts (like muzzle brake, etc).

Let's not forget that our very own Hotbarrel can make pistons for us, so there is another source of US parts.

I have yet to see anything that specifies chokes, etc. as a countable US part, so that one is open for debate.

I am not aware of a rifled barrel for these. Given today's AK smiths know their way around these shotguns, I believe the potential exists for a (US-built!) rifled rebarrel for the slug-only shooter.

Food for thought.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

thats a new outlook to me as well being a saiga 12 owner (if it ever gets here)...

but thank you for it and im gonna copy your pix....
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

The only real difference is the lack of a countable trunnion.
    In factory configuration there is no PG or MD. Once you add those in, you are back to a normal AK count.

I have never even peeked inside one of these yet, so I have no idea what the barrel mounting arrangement is like, but apparently there is no trunnion.
    Mine should be here this week. I'll post more once I get a chance to check it out.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I got the UPS notification that it's been shipped, so I should have it in a couple of days.

I guess that for 922r purposes, we should treat it exactly the same a milled receiver AK.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

wow yours is shipping!! im still 1 down on the list of being converted... another week!!! ugh.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

It was a quick ship because it's a stock S12. I'm doing my own conversion. According to UPS, I'll have it Thursday.

I plan on going to the range this weekend and running a few mags through it. I want to make sure that it runs before I tear it apart.
    I'll post pics as I progress through the conversion.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yeah i wanted to do my own but they talked me into letting them do the base conversion and not violating the warranty on it.. (they be an "official" warranty work for rrarms)

still gonna spruce it on up with some external stuff.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62x39 View Post
    I got the UPS notification that it's been shipped, so I should have it in a couple of days.

I guess that for 922r purposes, we should treat it exactly the same a milled receiver AK.

That's right, it shipped and look closely in the box.......there may be present in there for ya........

Scott

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    Yes we all know that any caliber Saiga requires the same requisite number of compliance parts for any given stamped receiver AK. Namely, 5 without muzzle brake, 6 with.
    Your numbers presume that we convert our Saigas upon receipt. Conversion is not required to run afoul of 922r, just the use of 'non sporting magazines'.

To use any magazine over 10 rounds in a factory Saiga rifle, you only need 4 US parts. A gas piston or FCG part will get one up to speed with US made magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    The moral of the story is that, according to the tech branch, the Saiga 12 shotgun has only 13 countable parts out of the box!
    For factory Saiga shotguns, if you use a higher-than-factory capacity magazine, you need 3 US parts. This means that you can use AGP 10 rounders in your non-choke-equipped factory Saiga shotgun w/o any worries.

Is not a choke a "muzzle attachment" ? Do you have the money to prove it in court? Saiga shotguns with removable chokes have 14 countable parts.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yeah but at the same time most of us are going after the US made tromix "muzzle attachment" and gas piston plus the US stocks and mags.... still got plenty of parts that way for all the parts counts... they also offer a US made front site now.

there is NO reason that someone cant be compliant on these if they put out minimal effort.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.