Gunco Forums banner

US made Saiga 12 Side folder flat and rails

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Coils 
#1 ·
Guys,
I hit Curtis up on yet another adventure like the AMMS Flat & rails group buy I did some time back. I suggested that there may be interest in a US made flat that is set up for the Bulgy or Russian side folder. Dont have any idea what the cost would be, and it would depend on demand. I would also provide a barrel removal service, as this is going to take a different tool to press out safely. Post you interest here, and spread the word!

See less See more
#3 ·
You know I love DPH and their products, but I'm just not sure about this one.

I'm going to play the Devil's advocate here.
How would we bend them? With the 1.5mm wall thickness, they're not going to work in a standard jig. How do we get the barrel back in if it requires special tools, after it's bent we can only send it to an FFL. Wouldn't it be much easier to mod the existing receiver for the folder?
If kits ever showed up, it would be a different story. But I just don't see a call for these at the present time. Maybe I'm way off base here, but that is my opinion.

#7 ·
Thanks

So you can't use the regular latch on an S12?(The one in the pic above the stock)
If that's so, then that sucks, I already got that stuff on the right. :(

#8 ·
Thanks

So you can't use the regular latch on an S12?(The one in the pic above the stock)
If that's so, then that sucks, I already got that stuff on the right. :(
Correct, you need the S12 version of those parts. You must drill the receiver for the retainer pin and slot in a location unique to the S12. No one *ever* has those parts in stock. Oleg @ rusmilitary.com is your best bet on finding the factory parts.

I plan (eventually) to make my own. It is after all only a metal latch...

The spring is essentially a 2x long disconnector spring. It can be found from various parts places like MSC. The factory stock apparently has a hole that the spring partially sits in. I haven't looked at mine that close to see if it is there already, or if I need to drill the plastic.

A lathe can make the shorty retainer pin. No magic there.

Ditto for the spring steel (?) special E-clip. Could probably just use a standard E-clip, however I haven't looked to see if the "tabbed" E-clips are available at any place like MSC or McMaster.

Comparison pic I found somewhere showing the "standard" AK-100 style latch on the left, S12 style latch on the right:

#10 ·
Keep in mind that the Russian sidefolder used on the Saiga 12 series is their 5mm pin as opposed to the common (available from K-var) 4.5mm pin.

These fold at different angles, so differing measurements would be required.

Illya, I looked at having the catches made but it was cost prohibitive. I'll probably make one or two for myself at some point, but a limited production run would be out of the question.

-myers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.