Gunco Forums banner

My Saiga Conversion - Harder than it should have been

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Neubert500 
#1 ·
For some reason my Saiga Conversion was more challenging than expected.

I used a single hook AK trigger of unknown origin (lets assume it's foreign.) My Saiga is 922(r) compliant with it's US made MD Arms 20 round mags.

So when installing the trigger group, initially the hammer was not being held low enough, this required me to reprofile the hammer, I also removed the sear area as well. I had to trim the top of the trigger since it interfered with the bolt as well. I used my Mill to cut the hole for the grip nut and used a US made pistol grip, and have a US made folding stock on the way. I messed up the trigger guard removing it... but knew that I could TIG weld the front part of the trigger guard. The shepherds hook wouldn't clear the bolt either... had to remove part of the top portion in order for the bolt to clear. Of course the mags needed some fitting but the instructions from MD Arms were clear and easy to follow.

I went with a UTG quad rail and a ACE Folding Stock setup. Still waiting on the ACE stock, but everything else is done. I had to remove the adjustable sights and grind down the rear sight somewhat for it to clear. For the record this was an IZ-108.

Mark

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good, reminds me of a good home defense gun without the stock. :D

Yeah I had to do the same things to the hammer and trigger hook on mine, I knew about the hammer and copied the original, but didn't know about the trigger and had to fight to get it apart once I realized it.

If you feel like it later you could get these, they are nice & a decent price
Saiga 12 Shotgun Trigger Guard
Saiga Parts :: Saiga Selector Stop - AK-Builder.com

#4 ·
Looks good, reminds me of a good home defense gun without the stock. :D

Yeah I had to do the same things to the hammer and trigger hook on mine, I knew about the hammer and copied the original, but didn't know about the trigger and had to fight to get it apart once I realized it.

If you feel like it later you could get these, they are nice & a decent price
Saiga 12 Shotgun Trigger Guard
Saiga Parts :: Saiga Selector Stop - AK-Builder.com
I'm gonna make a selector stop, it really doesn't need it but it would make it look right. As far as the trigger guard, the pictures don't really do it justice, it looks much better in person.

For now, while I wait on the proper ACE stock, I have an RPK stock on it, it actually feels great with the short boxy RPK stock and even looks pretty good with it! Really surprised me.

Mark

#3 ·
Looks good.
I used the original hammer with the Tapco G-2 trigger.
Against all advice, it worked like a charm.
I had enough other US parts to cover it all.
I also bent up my own trigger guard.
The Ace stock was made for these, it seems to me.
Very comfortable zombiesque weapon.

#6 ·
I used a yugo trigger and the original hammer with a Yugo disconnector. I had to cut the yugo trigger down a bit and contour it back to clear the bolt and hammer but after I polished the top is was smooth as glass coming back. I used the original Saiga trigger stop thing that came in the trigger pack to limit the trigger overtravel and it worked quite well. Hardest part was getting that Saiga trigger pack apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.