Gunco Forums banner

S20 underfolder conversion

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  voland 
#1 ·

Had some build time this weekend, and finished a long anticipated project of mine. This is a Saiga 20 converted to an underfolder.

In the end the conversion was easier that I thought, but I do have the right tools now. I used a mill to get rid of all the rivets on the factory rear trunnion and on the scope rail. I used a polish made rear underfolder trunnion, it lined up perfectly with the receiver and the long rivet hole. The Yugo M92 trunnion I tried before did not line up.

I used a HF TIG to weld up all the holes, except for the long rivet hole. The remaining rivet holes for the rear trunnion were then drilled and the trunnion was used to scribe the UF pivot hole layout.

I then riveted the trunnion in place and milled out the underfolder pivot holes. I made them undersized and then filed for a precise fit with my stock, no wobble at all. I used an 11/16 HSS mill bit for the large hole.

All that is left now is to bead blast, park and duracoat.

Any suggestions on how to smooth out the weld bead on the closed holes.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice, thanks for the pics.
Also don't forgot to let us know how it feels when you shoot it. :D

Any suggestions on how to smooth out the weld bead on the closed holes.
I used one of those flap style sanding discs on the angle grinder to take off the bulk of it, like this but I think I used a 120 or 180
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Which TIG do you have, the little red one or the one with the digital readout like this?
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

#3 ·
#6 ·
First, sorry for side tracking your thread.

Does that TIG have a push button on the torch to start it?
I ask because I got one of the cheaper ones and it's a "scratch or touch start" and I keep contaminated the tungsten when first starting an arc.
I think I'd be able to use one like this easier then the one I got.

Thanks in advance

#8 ·
Thanks again.
I might pick one of these up later, I never see that one on sale but I keep finding the 20% coupons so that will help.
OK I'm done asking about the welder, let's get this thread back on track :D

#10 ·
Got to shoot it

Got to shoot the bejezzus out of my S20 in the past couple weeks. Have about 200 rounds down range, eats everything except the cheap ass walmart birdshot. Had a chance to shoot the S20 side by side with a converted S12 too. I gotta say I like the S20 better, less recoil, faster shooting. firing with the folded stock is fun. This one is a keeper. Now to hunt down more mags, and make some hi-caps.

I refinished it with a 50/50 mix of FN green and tactical green duracoat, I like the color.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.