Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: stuck gas adjustment knob

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default stuck gas adjustment knob

posted this on the saiga boards and thought someone here could help.

got a used 20 a couple of weeks ago. started stripping for a conversion. decided to update the sights to the hk. all is good so far. well not....

went to remove the gas adjustment knob and puck. here's where it gets messy. i cannot budge the gas knob. forget just moving from 1 to 2. i have it clamped in a vise right now and have tried just about everything. i even drilled out the front bead thinking it was causing a bind. my last resort is a BFH!

any suggestions?

i have tried break free down the tube for 48 hrs. still nothing.
    al gore is full of carbon enriched shit

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Yikes... try heating it up on the outside and spraying some of that freeze spray on the plug to break it loose.

Feedback Score

You pushing the detent in? I've whoopsed like that...

Anyways, it might be tons of carbon buildup. I'd use a pipe wrench or large channellock pliers to get it moving a little bit, then move it back and forth to scrape the carbon out. You'll need a new gas plug but I'm sure you were gonna want to replace that with a fancier one anyways.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have a hard time believing that carbon buildup alone would cause it to stick to that point where it doesn't even turn and agree it could be a "whoopsie" moment. What Saiga owner HASN'T done that? Please make ***SURE*** that the detent button is actually pushing in far enough to disengage from the cap. You can turn it down tight enough to actually engage the threads like a normal bolt or not, and that could cause it to 'stick' closed. When bottomed out like that, the detent pin may actually stick down, and that would cause excessive friction as it is normally loose and pushed out by that spring.

Let's assume you've confirmed the detent pin is loose and pushes against the spring no problem, and you can push it down far enough to disengage from the cap. If that cap is on there where it won't even turn, then IF IT WERE ME, I would mount the gun up securely in a vise with wood, aluminum or leather covers to protect the finish. Then take a plumbers wrench (yes I said it) and some sheet metal. You know, the soft kind you get from Lowe's or HD 'hardware' section. Not SS, etc. Just cheap, soft sheet metal. Something to protect against the teeth of the wrench.

Place that sheet metal between the wrench and the knob, then secure the wrench against it. When turning it should dig into the sheet metal but save the knob from getting scratched up. At worst the paint may get rubbed off, but at least it won't have deep gouges from the wrench!

Remember if you do the wrench thing, MAKE SURE that the detent pin is really disengaged. You could SERIOUSLY damage your gun if that pin is actually the problem. As in needing replacement parts and possibly a replacement gas block. So tread lightly!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Are you turning it the right way? Looking at it from the front it turns counter-clockwise to loosen.

Something else to try, but you'll need a heper.
    Have the helper push in the detent, and use something flat & blunt, like a large flat blade screwdriver or a chisel that the edge has been ground off. And you guessed right, smack it with a hammer. Don't go nuts, one or two sharp hits should get it to move.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

FINALLY!!!

holy shit this was a bitch. i have let this sit for a while with some bore cleaner poured down the tube. i figured it was time to give it a shot. i used a piece of steel cut from a plane blade to fit the slots. BENT! dug around for something else and ended up with a paddle drill bit. turned and snap the shank breaks. at this point i'm pissed. the paddle part of the bit seemed to hold. i hit the gas block with a bit of heat, clamped the paddle bit in and adjustable wrench with about 2 feet of breaker bar and cranked again. the screech was like fingernails on a chalkboard, but it moved. cranked some more and voila its out!

the threads are unmarred and intact, so thats good news. there was shit in there that was unbelievable. it looked like chunks of lead. every crevice had it, even some of the threads. these pieces were .05-.07mm (used mechanical pencil leads as a size reference). best i can think, the previous owner had turned the knob as tight as he could get it and left it on #2. over time it just gummed and froze up.

WHAT A PITA!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Holy shit, that thing was really on there!!!!
    Glad you got it
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

coils, its amazing at they way some peeps treat shit. i am NOT a saint nor an i the most proactive, but jeez this was ridiculous. the previous owner was a cop so i assumed he knew how to care for a firearm. oh well, its out now and i can go thru every nook and cranny.

oddly enough i was going to remove the gas block and look at the ports to see if they needed attention. if this beast is passing chunks of lead....

then again the ports could be fouled with god knows what.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I know what you mean about the way people treat stuff, I think a lot of it is no common sense. I remember Kernel saying something about "there's people out there that can't put gas in their car without setting on fire" types.

If you want to hold off on removing the gas block, get in there with a small allen wrench and wiggle it around a little and see if that cleans the ports out.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    I know what you mean about the way people treat stuff, I think a lot of it is no common sense.
    Hurrdurr, is AK no need to clean it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.