Gunco Forums banner

Saiga 12 TG question

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  netpackrat 
#1 ·
So....If I'm NOT comfortable drilling and welding on my own weapon,nor have any equipment to do so, who would you recommend that can fix it up? I've put this off for FAR too long...

Thanks,

J

#3 ·
This makes it super easy. Why waste money when you can do it your self ;-)

Saiga 12 Conversion Drilling Guide

PatJ

Thanks for the quick response, however I would RATHER pay someone to do this . First, I dont trust my "homebuild" skills especially on a several hundred dollar firearm. Finally, Id rather pay someone for the headache. I dont have ANY leave time.... so that makes the decision easy.

Thanks, Tho

#4 ·
LISTEN its really easy. there are only 3 rivets on the tg. get a $5 carbide dremel bit and gently whittle away at those little rivets. it will take you less that 10 minutes. you CANNOT hurt anything. dont even bother with the oem tg. go to carolina shooters ad get the bolt on tg. this is the most difficult part of the whole process. there is nothing to drill. the bolt on uses the factory holes.

the 2 pins holding the oem trigger in place are hand drill simple.

i had my kid do one when he was 15. he was nervous but he managed just fine. a basic conversion doesnt require any welding. there are plastic plugs at home depot that will fill the old trigger holes and its not really necessary. you can be completely finished in less than an hour.

#9 ·
I purchased a trigger guard from Brownells, RAM S12TG,
That looks decent.
But I'm going to suggest getting better mounting hardware, those screws look like the low grade stuff you find in any hardware store, get some button head screws they are grade 8 and will look a lot better too.

#10 ·
I have to agree with Coils. I'd go to Fastanel, or one of those type distributors for hardware. Hardware store screws might be OK for trigger guards and the like,, but don't scrimp on something you are going to use in a high stress areas, like trunnions. Not worth the 50 cents overall you'll save, get them from Brownells, Midway AK builder or a top end hardware distributor instead that handles quality stuff. The Aubuchon Hardware stuff is all Chinese and iffy as far as quality control and tempering goes, even the threads are chit sometimes, and very poorly cut, IMO,, junk.

If you don't believe me just try this simple test, take a quality screw/bolt and a cheap hardware store one and torque them with a inch pound torque wrench till they break,Even grade 8's, then you tell me which is stronger. Honestly,, how much do you think you will you save? Seriously,,after all what are a half dozen screws going to cost anyhoo,, is it worth the chance??? I don't think so myself. A quality job always pays for itself in the long run. Even if only for piece of mind,, if nothing else.

I put one of the Brownells trigger guards on a buds Sagia for him and it could not have been simpler. Even riveted like I did it was a snap.

#11 ·
Good advise on changing out mounting screws to higher grade ones. I'm still using the ones that came with the guard. They appear to be of decent quality. They tightened up properly and are holding strong so far. I should run a box of 3" turkey loads thru it to really test them out. But I trust that they will be just fine. Actually after looking at it again I see that the smaller screws are high grade button head cap screws. The pistol grip screw and nut is hardware store looking, and I might change that out, but I doubt I need to. I think you guys are just having fun busting my chops! :)

#12 ·
Yeah we're enjoying ourselves :D
SAIGA 12 OVERSIZED TRIGGERGUARD | Brownells
Look at the pic again in the link, my opinion, I was talking about the two silver nuts & screws. But after you mentioned it more, I'd definitely think about changing out the pistol grip one, the only way I'd worry about the front one is if you can see it.
My two cents

#13 ·
I'm pretty sure Curtis at AK Builder has some plug and play trigger guards as well. I've seen other brands as well. If the op lived close to me I would do the conversion for free, all he would have to do is buy the parts. Its so easy I would feel bad if I charged for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.