Gunco Forums banner

S12 the final episode

18K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  gwailo 
#1 ·
i cannot count how many variations i have subjected this shotty to. the last trick was to install a k model gas block. AFTER i got the thing, everyone i asked said you MUSt relocate the gas ports, use a specific carrier and puck. i started to get a bit miffed, but told myself "its just a freakin gas block"! so i started this.

the major hurdle was getting the gas tube to mate to the block. i came up with an adapter and had a friend turn this. i left enough meat to trim as i needed. somewhere along the line i tried to see if i could run without the puck. no luck with that so i moved along.

one things were situated, a few trips to the range were made to test, trim, test, drill etc. ended up needing to hog out the gas port in the block to clear the ports in the barrel, but finally got it to cycle walmart bulk.

i also wanted a standard ak hand guard and discovered the yugo rpk retainer fits with a very slight sanding of the barrel. it is as clean of an install as i have seen anywhere.

added a new rear sight that began as a ar flip buis. cut the BS off the bottom and tacked it on the cover

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
That's what it does.
It's eliminates the need to adjust the gas system for different types of ammo.
At least, that's my understanding of it. I think if you had the correct combination of ports, this could be done on a regular S12 also.

I know that the 0-01-30 uses five .073 ports in the barrel for the gas system.
I'm running four .073 ports in the system I setup, but my setup is like Scotts. It's something I dreamed up, Not factory.

#6 ·
Kenny, I bypassed the need for the factory 030 puck and op-rod in your image. I used the oem puck and oem carrier. this was the source of my frustration. I couldn't source the 030 parts. my 12 sat on the bench in parts for 6 months until I just said screw it. if you notice, the adapter I turned was long on the side that went into the gas block. I left it long to give me room to trim as needed. it dawned on me that I may be able to eliminate the puck with this. I tried and it didn't work. I ended up trimming the adapter to fit just inside the block.

the black marks on the barrel are where I removed roughly .6mm to slip the rpk retainer on hand snug.

#7 ·
Okay, I got all of that.
I just see the OEM piston, your adapter and the gas block. I don't see a puck at all.
You sleeved the gas block with you adapter, so it would put direct pressure in the face of the piston? (Like how a AK gas system is setup?)
And that's how it operates?

#8 ·
that's what I wanted to do with the puckless. didn't work so I trimmed the adapter (basically a coupler between tube and block) where the black line is and used the oem puck.

I am still on the fence with tigging a rear sight block to the trunnion and using a standard gas tube. the oem s12 tube was meant to be the test tube. worked so I left it alone. knowing me, boredom will kick in in January when it finally gets cold in florida. I will end up doing it. have a Yugo rsb already trimmed just didn't pull the trigger (no pun intended)

#9 ·
#10 ·
Kenny, your definitions match mine. ok so all I really did, at the basic level, is swap gas blocks. the 030 block, like in your image required a puck with the recess that used the piston that has a straight profile at the end. since I couldn't source those parts, I used the standard puck/piston that came with my s12. what I tried to do with the adapter was eliminate the puck by sleeving the gas block like you mentioned, letting the gasses act on the face of the carrier/piston as a normal ak. that didn't work so I trimmed the adapter just enough to couple the gas tube to the block and went back to the puck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.