Gunco Forums banner

S-12 and S-308 conversions

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  netpackrat 
#1 ·

My Saiga 12 work in progress. Standard 19" Saiga converted with Curtis' parts, SGM forend, Mako recoil reducing stock, Tapco G2, SAW grip, and piston, Krebs sights, DPH Phantom flash hider, and a Tapco VFG for easier handling with the MD-20 drum. I polished the internals for smoother function, and the cheek pad is made from a piece of mouse pad. I'm probably going to end up with different furniture when all is said and done, since the shortcomings of what is currently installed are becoming apparent. I may switch to a rigid buttstock since I think the MAKO might be part of the reason I am having to adjust the MD arms gas plug to the #3 setting to reliably function with 3" buckshot. I also don't normally care for VFGs, but using the drum almost requires it.

I made my own US floorplates out of .080" aircraft aluminum. I didn't really need them for parts count, but I wanted something that would be easy to color code to match the hulls I am using for my handloads. This way I can easily differentiate between a mag filled with slugs, and one with buckshot even when they are inserted in a magazine pouch upside down.

.308 Saiganov, converted from a 16" unit using Choate stock, RSA trigger group, and the original trigger guard riveted and spot welded in place. I'm not sure that I care for the Russian scope, and may eventually replace it with a Leupold or something on a side mount that centers it over the bore axis. I installed a standard Mojo rear sight as a backup to the scope. With plain Federal 180 grain hunting ammo it will shoot under 2" at 100 yards; I have some handloads using 165 grain Ballistic Tips that I'm looking forward to trying. The FBMG magazines are okay, but I wish I'd known that CSSPECS would be coming out with his metal magazines, because I'd have bought those instead. At some point I'd like to move the FSB back and thread the barrel for some sort of brake or flash hider.

See less See more
#5 ·
I don't know what the freaking problem is, but I STILL can't see any of your pics! This is frustrating. I can see any other picture on this site, but yours. Very strange. Oh well, sorry to get off topic.

#8 ·
Thanks.

2ndamendican... One thing just occurred to me on the pictures.... The pictures in this thread are hosted at two different domains. Some of them are on my business site, the others from my personal site at a .org domain. Same hosting service, but still... That's just weird that you can't see any of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.