Gunco Forums banner

Tritium Replacement?

15K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Jones762 
#1 ·
Anyone know where I might be able to get tritium replacement for a ZRAK M-76 4x 5°10’ scope that comes with a Zastava M76 rifle? I think that before the "shift change" in Washington DC I might get everything squared away, and this is just one more maintenance issue.

- Black Blade

See less See more
#4 ·
#7 ·
If they are anything like the lps/tip2 [the PSL scope] tritium vials, you'll have to go to europe to get the vials, they aren't small enough to go unnoticed while importing them, they are huge!
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/bossman2u/43630026-1.jpg Pay attention to the caliper in the picture!
Forgot to add that one guy tried the little vials, even multiple, but they weren't powerful enough. You're better off trying to convert it to LED, and use a AA to power it, it'll last like 10 years on a single battery, I got a LED flashlight using the same battery for 10 years, then the electronics in the flashlight died...

#11 ·
Tritium vials are fairly easy to come by in most countries other than the United States.

Here, the only way to buy them legally is via an already manufactured item such as a watch, self-lighted signs or Trijicon (type) sights. Tritium *can* be used in processes to enrich plutonium so our beloved NRC bans it other than in manufactured goods.

Yah, like even the larger vials used in TIP2 scopes contain enough for me to enrich all that plutonium I have lying around in my family room.

#14 ·
I didnt piss around with e-mails I called and talked to them betalight and they told me they are regulated and cant sell to indiviguals. They can sell to law enforcement but they need min order 30,000 of only16,000 -18,000 will work and it runs about 6,000 frog skins to fix acheap scope.:grumble:

#15 ·
I have a 1P29 scope that needed a new tritium insert but the vials I bought from CFP were to small and was barely visible in total darkness. What worked for me was a fiber optic bow sight light, they run around $20 on Ebay and sporting goods stores. It is a self contained LED light that screws into a bow sight to illuminate the fiber optics. Get the adjustable LED as it does get bright and washes out.
I was fortunate in that it was the perfect size for my sight, just threaded the post and it fit perfectly. I can try to post pics later if anyone is interested. I had even bought an FAL Trilux LED insert but it was to small, probably could be adapted but I never tried since the bow light worked.

Crash

#20 ·
I think this one is a good one to bring back up. Any advancements or info since this thread died?

#21 ·
Depending on how much work you want to go through; do a search for "tritium keychain".
Different-sized "vials" and different colors to choose from.

LEDs are getting smaller and smaller too. Especially with the 'surface-mount' versions. Making a new holder might be a job. But as a replacement for a standard filament bulb, adapting might not be such a big deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.