Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint Comp M3 4 vs. Eotech 552 Military Sight -- and Cheap Alternatives?

Feedback Score

Default Aimpoint Comp M3 4 vs. Eotech 552 Military Sight -- and Cheap Alternatives?

While I wait for my FAL to come (it's back ordered by several months), I'm deciding what red dot sight to mount on it. I'll be using the top cover with the built-in Pickatinny rail.

I've narrowed down to these:
    • EOtech 552 Military Sight
    • Aimpoint Comp M3
    • Aimpoint 9000 SC or L
    Which of them would be the best? Figure CQB and medium range shooting. And once we narrow down to the best one -- a cheap alternative to that which will do the job (perhaps offerings from Ultimate Arms???).

Feedback Score

I have Burris Speed dot on my M-4 type and used and Aimepoint mount
    and it was about half the price of an Aimpoint and I like it alot
    Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, LIBERTY DECREASES."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score

Thank you. I'm going to check it out. What I'm wondering now is generically, which is better: holographic sighting or Aimpoint-type sighting.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post Shop...

Before you buy do your homework..
    I recently bought, after market products off the computer, which I saw for 1/2 the price at gun shows.
    Shop. Check prices. The money you save may be your own.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

4thIDvet,

Thank you. I will heed that advice.

I got my FAL through Gun Broker -- per a recommendation right here on this site. Paid $1200. That thing retails for nearly $2K. OK, I have to wait a little to get it -- it will probably be around November, but I saved $600 to $800. So, I have plenty of time to work on the optics -- not in any rush.

I know a lot of the usual sources are way over-priced. On the other hand, I'm not going to buy dolled up junk either. $500 for the EOtech and $650 for an Comp M3, kill flash and mount are a bit steep.

I'll keep on looking...

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I have an Eotech in the classifieds that I'm only asking $300 for.

Feedback Score

Another question about red dot sights in general -- do they need to be bore-sighted and adjusted like a scope does (just went through that with my Mauser), or do you basically slap them on and that's it?

And, if you you do have to bore-sight -- the FAL I'm getting has a 4" flash suppressor on it -- I'm using an SL-100 bore sighter. How would you adjust that thing to fit the flash suppressor -- or do you need to?

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

They are elevation and windage adjustable. Can you take the flash suppressor off?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Another question about red dot sights in general -- do they need to be bore-sighted and adjusted like a scope does
    They do need to be sighted in.
    I don't know about bore sighting with that 4" flash hider, you might have to do it the old way and start at a short range and work it out to where your going to shoot at, if the flash hider is removeable then take it off to bore sight it.

Feedback Score

Colis,

Thank you. I might just splurge the $30 and get a chamber-based one rather than fool with the flash suppressor. I saw your other thread on red dot sights and you seemed to indicate a preference for the Aimpoint types over the holographs because of durability reasons. Am I right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.