Thread: How to fix a spotting scope???

Feedback Score

Default How to fix a spotting scope???

So, I'm shooting my Mauser 8 MM today at 300 yd. Finally had it sighted in and was starting to push it. So, I have a Barska 20-60 x 60 spotting scope I picked up in Cabela's. I have the rifle set up in a Lead Sled with 25 lbs of shot in it and I'm holding it down as well...but even with that, it still kicks like a beast....enough to lift the rest and the 25-lbs of shot.

Well...I fired and my spotting scope went down to the ground from the bench. Now, it won't focus. The focus knob moves and then the whole scope goes black.

I can open it up and get inside to fool with it, but I don't know what to do...

...is this fixable? Is it worth it? Or did I just ruin a spotting scope?

Returning it is not much of an option. It will be over a month when I get back out, and I already had thrown away the packaging.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

1. ...is this fixable?
    2. Is it worth it?
    3. Or did I just ruin a spotting scope
    I vote for #3
    Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score

After seeing the conclusion, that this scope was shot, I figured...what the heck? Let me play a little bit. I opened it up and saw the focus thing was shaking inside. (At least you can open the scope. So, I gave it the redneck treatment: I used electrical tape to hold it back up, but at the same time permit it to travel.

One Barska 20-60x60 spotting scope back in business. WD-40 to make things go; duct tape or electrical tape to make them stop....

And....guess what? It works!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.