Thread: POWER

Feedback Score

Default POWER

I have been doing some searching and cannot find a riflescope more powerful than 40x. Does anyone know of any more powerful? How did the Canadian sniper hit his target at over a mile with a (40x +/- ?) scope, even with several shots?! I use a 10-40x50 Osprey International (and I love it!) on a .308 at a life size steel sheep target at 550-600 yds. and it is hard to place a heart/lung kill shot. So how do the snipers hit man size targets with surgical precision at greater distances? I know that my 43 year old eyes have recently changed (for the worse!) but Damn!
    I'm fixin to do somethin' dumber than hell, but I'm goin' anyways!

Feedback Score

Magnification that great would really require a good hold on the rifle, wiggling all around, and finding your target would be hard as heck with the tiny FOV.

I'd assume most of them use scopes around 10X and just deal with the targets being little. Maybe use a spotting scope to see the enemy, and aim for a position near a large object. Something like in the lower left of the window in some house they see someone with a spotting scope so they fire at the lower left corner of the window hoping to hit something.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

and in almost any light you would get heat waves soo bad you wouldent be able to see the target!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

As 486 stated.For years,Marine snipers used a fixed 10x scope.I seem to recall shooting at popup targets at 500 yards in training with the M16 and iron sites.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score

I really don't think the power of the optic is the key factor on a shot like that. I'm more inclined to think the clarity of the optics, having a spotter who is Sniper qualified, and knowing exactly what your bullet will do at extended ranges matters more.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
    The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
    The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
    The others, well......they just never learn.

"The ONLY thing nessecary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
    We are good people......We must do something....."The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.