Thread: budget 6-24x scope the BSA majestic?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Cool budget 6-24x scope the BSA majestic?

you all know that i have been scoping everything lately. 9mms, 5.56 and 7.62x39s --you name it i got er scoped--LOL

scoping all these irons can get expensive if you go all mall-ninja and eo-tec & trijacon everything.

the other day i stumbled on BSA blow out sale where they have this 'nifty" 6-24x "majestic" scope for $69 shipped- knowing these things retail for $209 but are mostly sold for about $160ish. the glass on my 1.5-4.5x BSA turkey scope seems very clear for its modest price , and i have a friend that has bought a few of these 6-24x44 majestic scopes and he seems very happy with his--and he paid much closer to retail for his 3 majestic scopes--though not hardly the FULL retail MSRP. i doubt any of these BSAs sell for their asking prices--

BSA has a spotty rep on the interwebs and i have only the three to base my experience on. so keep that in mind.

the majestic is the next step down from the 'gold star" top of their line and it is supposed to have the same glass and no questions asked lifetime warranty. so it ain't the top BSA but it is close in the BSA line up.

the scope came in today via UPS --packed in a plain cardboard box with a retail box inside with the scope-= all that was in the box was one piece of foam, the scope in a plastic bag , a users manual , warranty card and a set of bikini-covers. no mounts like most of their "lesser priced models". it was not an open box or factory referb. it was in a brand new scope in a factory sealed box.

out of the box the scope looks awful good for $69. it is smaller than i expected. it is only an inch or two longer than the bushnell 3-9x40 and the weight is very close. mounted up on the ar-15 it seems not much bigger at all--not nearly as clunky as i thought it would be.

this scopes has an "fast focus" adjustment at the rear "bell" and it has paralax adjustment on the side this adjustment goes from 15,30,50,75,100,200 then infinity.

the scopes mag adjustment is smooth as are all of its adjustments.

i just set it on an ar-15 today which is dark and rainy. the scope seems very bright , possibly there is something to BSA claim of 95% light transmission? even on 24x it it seemed plenty bright-- and it has been a dark day --even peering into the dark areas under the pine trees in the shadows you could clearly see even on 24x--

i was half expecting it to go "dark" as fast as a cheap flashlight with a weak battery when the mag got turned up to around 24X!

next up is the glass it is very clear --as clear as the BSA turkey plex is and it is a far lower powered scope. now i have looked through "cheap-china made " high mag scopes before and they looked like crap--fuzzy distorted images , dark ect ect--

if i didn't know better --you couldn't tell me this thing was "made in china" --

this one is very clear --provided you got the side adjustment and the fast-focus adjusted. and it is clear all the way through the mag range, even the edges of the glass are clear --

the cross hairs are a plex type with a BDC built in --they seem "OK" but i never was a fan of "busy" cross hair set ups. it not too bad it compares with vortex "drop dead BDC" and looks a hell of a lot better than some of the nikon BDC types i have seen.

the eye relief is supposed to be 4". i figure it is a bit shy of that -- more like 3.5" on my ar-15 set up. one thing i like about it is turning the mag up from 6x to 24x the eye position don't change hardly any. i don't know if i would put it on my hard kicking 6.4lb savage without getting a eye full of scope.

more heavy irons or more moderate kicking irons will be fine i suspect.

little things you should know about the majestic 6-24x44

the scope as good as it is it has a rather tight eye box and a rather narrow "sweet spot". with such a huge magnification range this is sort of expected. this scope has to be carefully mounted for optimum eye position , otherwise your going to tunnel out, black out,ect ect--

once you got it set up --it works like a clock , you can go from 6x to 24x and then back to 6x on the target and not get fuzzy, tunnel out, go black, fish eye or any of that shit.

all the adjustments might be a bit much for hunting -- i figure you could turn it to 6x and set the side adjustment to whatever the range is on the stand. it could be used pretty well provided you gave it a little thought before hunting with it -- a bit much for a brush gun though--LOL

the turrets feel and click pretty good , not great but good , the adjustments on the turrets are not real plentiful though the seem enough for most uses.

i suppose if your shooting really long range shots and need more elevation you could use some of those offset inserts or mounts.

BSA does look to have improved their products quite a bit, at least in the more upscale products. or maybe i got lucky-- but this seems to be a great scope for the $--

if you in the market for a moderlety priced scope it might be worth it to give BSA sale a look.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I've had mixed results with BSA,,some clear as a bell and others not so much. Pretty hit or miss, so I wouldn't get one off-line myself, I'd need to look through it first.

I do really like the Weaver line as far as $100-$200 scopes though. I got 2 Kaspa series 4-16x44mm's on sale @ Midway awhile back for 129, I think they were,, and it's a really-really nice scope and every bit as good as some I've gotten that were 4-500+.

You need a good scope with fair magnification and reasonable price, crystal clear optics and a reasonable sized scope,,there a real winner all the way around. Side focus too,,,mines the "dual plex" hairs, those are great for hunting. Thick hairs outside for keeping on targets moving through the woods. Fine hairs for the "between the twig" shots. That's my go-to X-hairs for my hunting guns.

Got one mostly for the AR to replace the oversize monster I have on it now, but don't have a good place to it sight back in @ 600, so I'll live with the Monster till I do. Got one on my M-77 308 though and it is a really sweat scope it does everything a scope is supposed to do and does it very well for little $$$. There my best recommendation for scopes in that price range by comparing the others I've looked at lately.

And Lord Knows,,,I can't go by a scope display without checking out every blessed one there, so I've looked at allot after doing all these fishing seminars at every one of the big box shops in New England,,,,

The Bass Pro Shops just down the road from the Boston Stadium has at least 75 on display and there sporting goods dept is incredible, powder, bullets, primers,,,,,,everything for shooting!! Sadly in Mass , so I couldn't buy a 357 Diamondback 6" engraved I saw there and wanted in the worst way, by the time I could make arrangements to ship it and make up my mind to buy it ,,,,it was gone,Oh Damn! Probably for the best though,,it was 2100 smackers,,OUCH

If you ever get the chance to go there,,Do It,, but plan on it taking half a day to do so, IT'S WELL WORTH IT !! Check it out on-line you won't believe it. Incredible!!!! I was like a kid in a candy store plus I got a 30% discount by being there doing the seminars,,,OH YA, YOU BET,,,,,,

MAN, I went for Broke that week end !!!!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i haven't messed with any weaver kaspas yet, only thing i know about the "kaspa" line is one of my pals had a 2-7x that had the turrets go on it. i don't recall what he did with it. i do recall the glass was clear in it when i looked through it.

i do like those nitrex 1s that natches sells for $99

yea BSA has a messy line up --they come from china so their probably a dice roll--

i figure ALL scopes from china are going to get "mixed " reviews. vortex has had problems with their crossfire line, minox has had some turret problems with the VZ line from china.

i have heard good things about the simmons whitetail calssic 6-24x and the 44mags-- along with the usual "made in china" horror story's. LOL

so far i have been impressed with the level of glass in my BSAs however all i have are the majestic and BOSS types --some of their cheaper line might get really spotty.
    i thought about trying one of their "gold star" line but i have seen many other scope brands that try to go with 5x and 6x ejectors that didn't turn out so well.

the majestic is the same glass as the gold star it just has a 4x erector-- might be the better scope--

being that they all source from china i suspect most of the china made sourced scopes come from the same factory.

konus,BSA, simmons and a host of other scopes do look very much alike--

for what this scope cost i don't think i could even drive to the pro-shop to look- as that would cost me a tank of gasoline!-LOL!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Knock on wood , no turret issues yet but it's been used only a few times though, 5 rounds to sight in last year, and 2 shots to kill 2 deer with. I've still got some 30-40 year old Weavers on some of my stuff that will still drive tacks and they have probably been on a hundred different guns at this point I'll bet. I hope the newer ones hold up as well.

Maybe I used it to bust clay pidgin's with a couple other times too.

So far no issues though, with so many different guns,none of my guns really get used very hard other than a few hunting guns and I think I've only had 2-3 scope failures and mostly with real cheap stuff.

I've got a couple Simmons 44 mags too and there not to bad, but I think the Weavers might be slightly better,,,,hummmmm,,Maybe I'll pull a few different toys out with less expensive scopes on them and compare some just for shits.

Hell,,now that's a good excuse to play in the toy box if you ask me ! Like I need one,,,,,

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

hell TWA do you know about those weaver nitrex ones over @ natchez? they go for $99.

yea the old weavers were some good scopes. i have heard things positive about the weaver fixed power scopes of today the 4x and 6x versions . i think weaver scopes are made in japan or the PIs and kaspa is china--not 100% positive that this info is correct though.

i was tempted to buy one of those kaspa 2-7x back when Beech camera had um on sale for $75 myself. but i stumbled on the vortex diamondback 2-7 over @ adomara for $134 sooo--lol

you hear a lot of issues with the vortex crossfire scopes --their china brand --but you also see people that love um--

i have also noticed the kaspa, the sightron hunter , simmons 44mag and the vortex crossfire --and several other brands look very similar-- like the came of the same production line.

the 6-24x 40 and 44 mm scopes also have a very similar look to them a simmons whitetail classic and a konus 6-24x --look like sisters too!

so far on the cheap scopes i have had only one that is a total flop and that is that ebay/amazon china special 1-6x30mm that had the turrets fail on the set up bag-- it also had a fuzzy area in the glass that started around 3.5 and went to 5x --then somehow it cleared up at 6X--but hey what should i have expected for $50 and china!--LOL

and i hate to go around knocking china made glass as at least SOME of it seems pretty good. this majestic seems as good as any of the lower priced nikons and it is edging up on the diamondback vortex--which is a pretty good grade of glass--

of course i might get cocky and order another one and it might look like a fricking coke-bottle was used to make the lenze--LOl you never know about this china shit--

i looked real hard at the simmons whitetail classic 6-24x over @ midway for $109, i have heard good things about them. and i looked at the 44mag with the AO-- for $99 -- i had a bunch of discount codes for midway but they all expired so all i could get was $10 off--

i sort of wanted an side mounted AO the majestic has got a side AO and quite a bit cheaper (when on sale0 than the simmons--and i had a free shipping code--

i'm going to test this scope out some more before i buy anything else from BSA-- just to be on the safe side--LOL!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'm to the point of having excess scopes now and won't be getting anymore anytime soon, I've got 6-7 extras at this point and every gun I want scoped,,,is.

I've got some real old Weavers in a fixed 20X and a 10X, the super long target ones,and a couple 3x9's and the 2,,newer china made 4x16's. The 20 is wore out and fuzzy now but the rest are all still good. The 20 needs a reseal and re-gas I think,,Hell it must be damn near 60 years old at this point,,maybe older,,, it was originally on a Ballard target gun which was made when Jesus still wore sandals I think !!!! It's older than the hills.

I really like the side AO adjustment too and one of the features I look out for now. Very handy in the woods when ya don't want to be moving around much or from a bench. A real nice feature to have.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

yea a side AO is the catrz-ass! i'm just getting too old and lazy to reach all the way out to the front bell and turn that collar!

a side knob is soo much better to reach --and if your in the prone it is a no brainer!--LOL

the object of my scopes is to find them "cheap" gems --if there are any--- so far i haven't done too bad but if i had more $$$ to waste it would be ziess,vortex and so on all the way --

the thing is it gets EXPENSIVE when you got to many uppers and bolt actions to scope-- and i haven't even gotten around to doing the AKs yet--LOL

my favorite all around scopes is the vortex viper series -- i wish i had bought a few of them when they were getting the blow-out sale treatment a few years ago for $179-- now their three and four $100 bills each--

now if i was obama i could just lay low on one of the $150,000,000 weekend vacations and buy all the expensive scopes i wanted--and some more ammo--LOL!

but i don't draw THAT kind of $$$---LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    I'm to the point of having excess scopes now and won't be getting anymore anytime soon, I've got 6-7 extras at this point and every gun I want scoped,,,is.

I've got some real old Weavers in a fixed 20X and a 10X, the super long target ones,and a couple 3x9's and the 2,,newer china made 4x16's. The 20 is wore out and fuzzy now but the rest are all still good. The 20 needs a reseal and re-gas I think,,Hell it must be damn near 60 years old at this point,,maybe older,,, it was originally on a Ballard target gun which was made when Jesus still wore sandals I think !!!! It's older than the hills.

I really like the side AO adjustment too and one of the features I look out for now. Very handy in the woods when ya don't want to be moving around much or from a bench. A real nice feature to have.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

boy is this scope "eyeb0x-critical" when you turn it up past 18x!

still clear though-- WHEN you got your eye in that perfect spot. otherwise is is hazy above 18x --

i'm a gonna take it out and use it some more today.

the funny thing is it looked good @ 24x in my shop--LOL

i don't think it is going to be of much use in the field past normal magnifications --or at least not much. the adjustments do help clear the scope up but it is fiddely --lots of knobs and dials to adjust-- a simpler 3-9x is certainly much quicker to set up for a shot.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.