Gunco Forums banner

PSL - Advice For Low Centered Mount + Scope

6K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  2ndAmendican 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

I want a low/centered scope on my PSL. I purchased one of these but it is warped and crooked.

Pretty sure it's identical to Kalinka'a BP-02

http://kalinkaoptics.com/mounts/ori...ofile-centered-side-mount-to-weaver-rail.html

Anyway, I was going to see if I could exchange it or get another but the "Smith" I used for work on this PSL says these mounts are crap and wouldn't use it. Anybody have a best recommendation of a low/centered mount wi a rail so I can mount a detachable scope.

Was thinking if using this http://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scop...r-rangefinder-rifle-scope-weaver-version.html This is the price range I'm targeting (no pun intended)

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah that should be the same as the BP-02

What's warped on it? Or could it have been machined wrong? These are usually quality mounts. Can you exchange it from the place you bought it from?
Your "smith" doesn't know what he's talking about, he must be comparing these to the UTG ones which are low quality. I don't know of any other mounts for the SVD/PSL style rail, most are made for the AK rail.

The scope your looking at is nice for the price, you don't have too many choices in that price range.

#3 ·
What's warped on it? Or could it have been machined wrong? . . . . . Your "smith" doesn't know what he's talking about.
Nah. This guy is known for quality work. I had a picture of it mounted on the rifle but I can't find it anymore. I'll post another when I get it back. I thought the rail or something about the receiver was crooked as the Front and rear sight blocks were way crooked to start with. In the meantime I do have a pic I took to show the locking nut and while I didn't notice this before it appears you can see a bit of twist in it from here.

I can't imagine one wouldn't be able to twist it straight again in a vise wi some muscle. Or this could further trash it as well.

#4 ·
I wonder if that was a blem that made it out of the factory? Even the slot for the locking lug looks like it wasn't machined properly.
I'd try another one, this one should be ok for a red dot or low end scope yet

#6 ·
The AK-303 base & Arsenal are nice, but I don't know how well they will handle the recoil of the 54r since they are skeletonized so much, they are mainly designed for the AK series rifles.

I can't believe no one else had anything to add?

#9 ·
Does that Ak-303 even fit on an SVD style scope mount? I thought it was AK specific. I had a BP-02 that was similar to that on my PSl and I disassembled the mount and shimmed it to bring it in line with the barrel. Before at max travel I was a foot off the paper at 100 yards!! IIRC, it was off to the left so I had to shim between the two pieces of the mount at the back end to push the front to the right.

#11 ·
Now don't laugh too hard- I used this adjustable mount on my PSL and it works great. I had to lengthen the adjustment slots on the top to get it to center with the bore, but after that everything went great. I have mine adjusted down very low-I almost cant get the topcover off. Locktite is your friend! Adjustable AK Siderail Mount #MNTAKA02

#17 ·
Heres pics. It will go about 3/16ths lower but the front bell would hit the rear site and I wouldnt be able to get the topcover off with out removeing the mount. It does sit high enough to need a raised cheek rest, but, hell, those look cool! This mount is on my 8mm mauser PSL/AK.

Attachments

#19 ·
Let me back up a bit... I re-read the entire thread AND looked at the pics this time. The scope you are looking to get has a smaller bell on the front, so you should be able to get lower with it. Also I just remembered the PSL base is riveted higher on the receiver than the AK base. So you need a really low mount. BTW, thats an AK base on my PSL/AK 8mm, So the mount I was suggesting will be too high.

#22 ·
I'm kind of on stand by. Life going in other directions and I barely get to the range these days. I will probably see about getting one of the above listed other mounts wi a Kalinka 6x scope. But it's not high on the list of to-do's right now. :-(

#24 ·
Damn for that price you dang near can't go wrong. Thanks for posting that Akblue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.