Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wolf Ammunition Now Making Tactical Optics

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Wolf Ammunition Now Making Tactical Optics

Wolf Ammunition Now Making Tactical Optics

Wolf’s optics lineup includes day and night optics. Clockwise from top: PN22K day/night sight, PNN14M night-vision goggle, PN21K night-vision monocular, PSU 1-4x32mm scope, PN23 night sight.

Wolf teamed with Russia’s Novosibirsk Instrument-Making Plant (NPZ). Founded in 1905, this optical works has a long history of producing military and commercial optics. In both size and capability, NPZ is an optical giant. I visited the plant in 2012, and it is very impressive.

Initially, Wolf will offer four night-vision devices: PN21K, PN22K, PN23 and PNN14M. Performance-wise, they will be Generation 2+ or Generation 3. In addition, the company will be offering a 1-4x32mm riflescope called the PSU, with more day optics to follow.

RifleShooter was given an exclusive first look at these devices. Here is a quick overview.

The PN21K is a versatile night-vision monocular and is available with either a Generation 2+ or Generation 3 image intensifier. The unit is auto-gated to prevent image intensifier damage if exposed to intense light. It sports a wide 36-degree field of view and is powered by a single, universally available 1.5-volt AA battery.

It’s waterproof and features include a removable objective lens, soft rubber eyecup and a built-in IR illuminator. It weighs just 10 ounces and can be head mounted or helmet mounted for comfortable hands-free use. So mounted, it flips up and out of the way when not required. Higher magnification 3X and 5X lenses are available as accessories. Two units, fitted with 1X or 3X lenses, can be joined together to form a binocular.

The PN22K is an interesting design that combines the features of a day optic and a night-vision device into one professional-grade sighting system. To accomplish this, it has two parallel channels—night and daylight—that the user can select by rotating a large knob. This allows a rifleman to engage targets in both day and night scenarios using only one optic.

The PN22K has 3X magnification and either a Generation 2+ or 3 image-intensifier tube. The sight incorporates an IR illuminator and is powered by a single 1.5-volt AA battery. The design is shock resistant and capable of handling the recoil impulse of .30-06-level cartridges. Recognition range with the Generation 3 is 450 meters. Adjustments are in one-centimeter clicks (80cm total adjustment), and the user-friendly reticle is illuminated. It’s 12.6 inches long and weighs 45.8 ounces.

The PN23 is a dedicated night-vision sight. What I liked about this unit is its compact size (8.2 inches) and light weight (23 ounces). Magnification is 3X, and it sports a Generation 3 image-intensifier tube. This provides an impressive 400-meter recognition range. Field of view is a wide 12 degrees. The illuminated reticle is designed to provide both speed and precision. The sight zeroes easily and features 10 mils of adjustment.

It is powered by a single AA battery, features an IR illuminator for use in total darkness and mounts easily onto a 1913 rail. This compact Gen 3 sight works very well on an AR-15 rifle and would be a valuable aid in hunting hogs or coyotes where night vision is legal.

The fourth piece in Wolf’s line is the PNN14M, which is basically a robust single-tube night-vision goggle. A good-looking and comfortable design, it is available with either a Generation 2+ or Generation 3 image intensifier and is auto-gated. The PNN14M incorporates an IR illuminator and sports a wide 36-degree field of view with its standard 1X objective lens. The unit is waterproof, and features include a removable objective lens and soft rubber eyecups. It’s powered by a single AA battery and weighs just 15 ounces.

Wolf’s day optic line will launch with the PSU riflescope, which is built Kalashnikov tough but is refined enough to be at home on an AR-15. A compact piece, it switches from 1X to 4X and back with the throw of a lever. When set on 1X, the PSU provides a 26-degree field of view, facilitating rapid both-eyes-open target engagement similar to a reflex sight.

If you need magnification, flip a switch on the left side of the scope body. The magnification increases to 4X, and an illuminated bullet-drop-compensating reticle—combined with a simple to use “no math” telemetric rangefinder—permits hits at medium distances. The BDC reticle provides ballistic compensation out to 800 meters, and the telemetric rangefinder allows ranging out to the same distance. Compact in size, the PSU is only 7.4 inches long. Weight is just 24 ounces, including the QD mount.

Wolf is launching its new optics division with these five products, but it has much more going on behind the scenes and more models on the way. I look forward to seeing what the future holds for this interesting new line.

Read more: Wolf Ammunition Now Making Tactical Optics | RifleShooter
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

That is interesting. Guess the $100,000 in Wolf ammo I shot up over the years made them enough to expand? Wonder what their prices are going to be like? We had the Gen. 1 Starlight scopes back in the 60s and they sucked.
    I see Gen. 2 and 3 their, they have to be better? Only ones I tried were my Bros Russian night vision binoculars, damn they were nice. Cost versus use is a concern. With more companies getting into this, prices may come down?
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

I hope the prices are reasonable too 4th. Sounds interesting.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    I hope the prices are reasonable too 4th. Sounds interesting.
    Yeah hell HDTV was like $10 grand when they first came out, now their giving them away. I see the price coming down in time?
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

ok we need to know more, first is price, second is repair facilties available

at this point current russia NV optics are disposable, because no one here in the US will repair them. so if they are cheap enough to dispose of or they offer repair services. otherwise they are useless, also you can not ship the units to be repaired out of the country, its illegal
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Gen. 1 is dropping in price, but Gen 2 and above is still more that I am interested in paying.
    Sightmark Ghost Hunter 1x24 Night Vision Goggle Binocular Kit - Binoculars - SM15070 - nightvisionguys.com
    Takes about 20 minutes to get your night vision with the naked eye. They taught us to not stare straight toward what you want to see at night, but use your peripheral vision. It works. Look just slightly too the right or left of the object you are trying to focus on. If it has teeth and fur, run like a mo fo.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

both e-bay and ar-15.com have had bargins with NV scopes, I saw some great gen 2 and gen 3, PVS-4 and PVS -14 scopes going real cheap usually used, but they can be repaired here, no reason to buy junk
    case in point recently Cope has german orion NV scopes they were Gen1/2 scopes for under $600.00. thesea re great scopes for the money ( served me well during hurricane sandy)
    what a country has israeli surplus ( US miliarty aid ) scopes PVS-4 gen 2 for under $1,300 I love this scope its build like a tank,

my next scope will be a gen 3 PVS-14 I saw one sell for $1,500.00 the other day

why buy non repairable junk

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sprat View Post
    both e-bay and ar-15.com have had bargins with NV scopes, I saw some great gen 2 and gen 3, PVS-4 and PVS -14 scopes going real cheap usually used, but they can be repaired here, no reason to buy junk
    case in point recently Cope has german orion NV scopes they were Gen1/2 scopes for under $600.00. thesea re great scopes for the money ( served me well during hurricane sandy)
    what a country has israeli surplus ( US miliarty aid ) scopes PVS-4 gen 2 for under $1,300 I love this scope its build like a tank,

my next scope will be a gen 3 PVS-14 I saw one sell for $1,500.00 the other day

why buy non repairable junk
    Sprat - the one on my list (but I can't justify $3000 right now) is PVS 14 3rd generation Pinnacle Autogated ITT/Exelis Upgraded P+
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

sniper thats the one I saw a couple go for just over 2k last week I just dont have 2 k right now

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

This is all I can find about the Wolf Optics
    WOLF Performance Optics
    Wonder who the US distributor(s) will be?
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.