Gunco Forums banner

Drums anyone

7K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  zoom6zoom 
#1 ·
I thinking of getting one of the Md Arms drums. Do any of you use them or like something better

#2 ·
They're great drums for the price, it's more of a "cool factor" to have one, you could get quite a few mags for the price.
I've only put 40 rnds through mine so far and it worked fine.

#5 ·
I have 2 NIB and 1 out of the box- I haven't fit it to my Siaga 12-c. I have about 5 - 5rd mags, 9 -10rd mags and 2- 12 rd mags. and the 3 drums. I only have 1 Siaga but considering it's orginal- I just can't figure out why they imported them in with 22 in bbl's. It looks like a goose gun. Since I'm never getting rid of it I want to cut it to about 18 1/4 and thread it. I wanted it to be cut 2.5 inches under legal length and then permanantly attach a 3 inch break. I bought a break but there are now too many cool ones. I can't see attaching a break for good when I may want to change.

#6 ·
I can't see attaching a break for good when I may want to change.
LOL I know what you mean, there's someone always bringing new stuff out for these.
That is also a problem, there's too many companies making stuff (not just brakes) that you keep seeing stuff you like, and if you bought everything that looks good you'd end up with a mall ninja gun. :D
Oh well buy a couple and make each one different. LOL

#9 ·
Nothing!

Alliance Arms drums are milled from steel.
Only a weight lifter would appreciate them.
I've held their 20 and 30 rd drums. They will snap your ribs
if you shoulder these things. It's simply a joke.

#10 ·
Alliance Arms drums are milled from steel.
I think they are aluminum, but they say the rifle has to be fitted to the mag. I only had to take a couple passes with a file to get my MD Arms to clear the center support.

And after seeing this video, I knew it was a quality product, I placed an order right away. It's 2 parts and the first drum is an AA

[video=youtube;8WA2MjeBzU0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WA2MjeBzU0]YouTube - Saiga-12 Drums part 1, Both Torture Tested, Live Fire[/video]

#13 ·
Did Alliance do a "performance tune" on your Saiga for their drum to fit?

If so, do your other magazines fit and function any more?

Over on the S12 boards, there's a lot of threads from AA going like this: "Our drum is perfect, all the Saiga 12s are imperfect. They need our "performance tuning" so our drums will fit and function." with the only problem being that afterwards, the customer's gun could only run the AA drum.

This happened to a great many customers.

If it didn't happen to you, fortune has smiled upon you.

#16 ·
Further more, I am quite sure that the AA drums are steel.
I met a poor dude lugging these around at a gunshow. He was trying to
sell the 20 and 30 rounders. I held both of them. It was simply
ludicrous. They were like dumbbells. Aluminum seems like a logical choice,
but I'm saying they were not AL.

Always modify the mag, not the magwell.
Duh!

#17 ·
Further more, I am quite sure that the AA drums are steel.
I thought they were aluminum, to me it would be pretty stupid to make them out of steel, but if you seen and handled them then you'd know.

Always modify the mag, not the magwell.
Duh!
AA needs to know this, as Nalioth said; " Over on the S12 boards, there's a lot of threads from AA going like this: "Our drum is perfect, all the Saiga 12s are imperfect. They need our "performance tuning" so our drums will fit and function." ", I've seen plenty of these posts from a couple forums when I was looking at the drums.

#18 ·
I recall there being an issue with the first ones shipped out. That was corrected and people who had the first drums were able to return theirs for replacement IIRC.

#22 ·
No problem, just wanted to be sure.

I know there was an issue with the first batch but it was minor and he offered to send the part to people that wanted to fix it themselves, for the non-mechanical types he offered to do the fix for them.

#25 ·
Sorry to hear your Saiga 12 does not feed correctly.
This is difficult to comprehend, but, I'd persist and get this
action loosened up. It should all be in place and operable.
The MD drum would ordinarily fit and function like a top.
Follow the install instructions and I am confident you can
get there.

#27 ·
Agreed. They are a novelty only. The only drums I have are for my RPK and that just sits in the safe. Can't imagine trying to fix any problem with more than 5-8 rounds of buckshot. If that doesn't fix it, you're asking the wrong question!!! :D

#28 ·
Zappo, Apparently there was a term for S-12's that weren't assembled properly,"Vodka specials." Any way my S-12 wouldn't cycle anything reliably and I was read to use it for a boat anchor when Someone told me about Cadiz gunworks. They are the official gunsmith in the US for Saiga. I sent mine in and they re-worked it, it functions perfectly now! The best part is, it didn't cost me a dime! I cut and paste the info below from the Saiga forum.

CADIZ GUN WORKS
POST OFFICE BOX 126
117 WEST MARKET STREET SUITE B
CADIZ, OHIO 43907
(740) 942-3175
Tom Cole, President

We are the Warranty Repair Center for Russian American Armory Company (RAAC). As per ATF rules a firearm may be sent to us for warranty work/repair/gunsmithing and returned directly back to you at your home address. Shipping to us and return shipping is covered under warranty.

Please send the following information to us and we will be glad to email an UPS Label for you to print. You just attach the UPS label to the box and hand the box to any UPS driver or drop at an UPS pick up site.

Name:
Home Address:
City, State, Zip Code:
Phone#:
Email Address:

Gun Description:

Make:
Model:
Caliber/Gauge:
Barrel Length:
Serial Number:

Problem with the firearm:

Have you shot/fired the gun?
What kind of ammo did you use? (ex. Winchester, Super-X, 7 1/2, 1 1/4 loads)

Measurements of shipping box: L x W x H

The Production# off end of box: (ex. 111/333)

What day/date will you be shipping the gun?

FFL # (If a Dealer or Distributor):

If you are a Federal Firearms License (FFL) dealer, please scan a copy of your FFL and email to me or give me the first 3 and the last 5 of your license #, then include your FFL when you ship the gun to us.

Please wrap the gun in newspaper, bubble pack or other packing material to prevent damage to your gun and box. Put styrofoam or wad of paper over bolt handle to prevent it from punching though the box. No magazines or accessories need to be included. Please include a packing list in the box with your name and address.

Russian American Armory Company (RAAC) and Cadiz Gun Works (CGW), No Fee Warranty Service, applies to Russian American Armory Company (RAAC), Saiga Firearms, in the original configuration as shipped from the manufacture. Firearms which are not in their original configuration will be serviced to meet factory performance specifications, using a factory magazine. Serviced at no fee if determined to be a manufacture defect. If the Warranty Department determines that improper functioning is due to customer modifications or improper use a $50.00 minimum shop fee will apply. Additional time needed will be billed at $45.00 per 1/2 hour.

Upgrades and Conversion Work by Cadiz Gun Works (CGW) available at an additional charge. Standard Conversion $595.00 with customer supplied gun.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at (740) 942-3175.

Have a Blessed Day,
Vicki Jo Cole
Office Manager

#32 ·
If you are thinking about getting one, now is the time... they are having an anniversary sale:
For a limited time, plus shipping;
MD-20 ---------------- $75
V-Plug ---------------- $20
US Molot grip -------- $6
MD-20 Cover --------- $5 (Black, Clear, or Smoke)
MD-20 Spring -------- $5

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.