Thread: Sights saiga 223

Keep It In The 10 Ring rifleman223's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Default Sights saiga 223

Any one have a suggestion for a rear iron or standard sight up grade something other than scope mount and optics aftermarket or custom set up looking for better sight picture and simplisity for the sight thank you for yor time

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

my two tops are the : 1. Krebs rear peep and the XS 24/7 front sight post still allows for yardage adjustments and easy front sight acquisition.
    2. tech sights-- i just put them on my 10/22 and would have them on my saigas except there is no quick yardageadjustmentt. yes they do have one now that you candiall in at various distances. I like the quick slide rear leafadjustmentt. No it is not exact and most of the time you will use battle sight zero but when you know your distance or can gauge then it is nice to have the ability to help get you close quickly..
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"

Feedback Score

I found a couple sets of night sights (German, I think) online. Rear set clips to the leaf sight and has a tritium flip-up dot. Front sight clips to the FSB and has a dot that goes on top of the front sight post. Rear sight dot goes under the front sight dot for the sight picture. A fairly inexpensive mod; I bought 3 sets for $18.

Checking in my darkened garage, these sights are not tritium - or if they are, they've degraded so much they aren't visible - but they ARE luminous. I don't know if the FSBs on AKMs and AK-74s are different, but the front night sight assembly doesn't fit well on my 7.62 AK FSB, although it fits fine on my Siaga .223 FSB.
    Last edited by Blackhawk2001; 06-07-2011 at 08:11 AM.
    When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout... R.A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I've tried several different solutions; my favorite is the TWS rail with their peep sight mounted to it, even though you still have to make adjustments at the front sight since their rear is non adjustable. Yeah, it's a scope mount which you said you aren't after, but it's also a damn rugged rear sight setup, and it's way easier to deal with than the Tech Sights once you get it installed and zeroed. And if you do decide the throw an optic on there later, you're good to go.

The Tech Sights are nice, but the dust cover is a pain in the ass to remove and install whenever you need to field strip the rifle. Main benefits are adjustability and increased sight radius, at the cost of the hassle with the cover. I have a set of them on one of my AKs, but I eventually plan to put a TWS rail on that rifle when funds allow.

Probably the easiest thing to do if you just want a peep sight is the basic MOJO, in my opinion. It's a straight replacement for the factory sight, adds adjustability, at the cost of no improvement to the sight radius. Krebs makes a nice sight too, but I'd rather have the adjustable MOJO. I used to have these on each of my AKs, but they've been slowly winding up in my parts box, as I swap them out for higher end setups with optics and/or better sight radius. I just have the one set on my beater AK now, out of the 4 I originally bought.
    http://www.boomsticksforever.com/
    Specializing in hand-built modular stocks.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk2001 View Post
    I found a couple sets of night sights (German, I think) online. Rear set clips to the leaf sight and has a tritium flip-up dot. Front sight clips to the FSB and has a dot that goes on top of the front sight post. Rear sight dot goes under the front sight dot for the sight picture. A fairly inexpensive mod; I bought 3 sets for $18.

Checking in my darkened garage, these sights are not tritium - or if they are, they've degraded so much they aren't visible - but they ARE luminous. I don't know if the FSBs on AKMs and AK-74s are different, but the front night sight assembly doesn't fit well on my 7.62 AK FSB, although it fits fine on my Siaga .223 FSB.
    They were luminous, they just degraded, when they first came in the mid 90's they worked like a charm, most vendors will even advertise the luminous does not work, though I did see another set up from another warsaw pact country that were for sale and they were luminous and fairly new I believe the life span is about 10-12 years
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by netpackrat View Post
    I've tried several different solutions; my favorite is the TWS rail with their peep sight mounted to it, even though you still have to make adjustments at the front sight since their rear is non adjustable. Yeah, it's a scope mount which you said you aren't after, but it's also a damn rugged rear sight setup, and it's way easier to deal with than the Tech Sights once you get it installed and zeroed. And if you do decide the throw an optic on there later, you're good to go.

The Tech Sights are nice, but the dust cover is a pain in the ass to remove and install whenever you need to field strip the rifle. Main benefits are adjustability and increased sight radius, at the cost of the hassle with the cover. I have a set of them on one of my AKs, but I eventually plan to put a TWS rail on that rifle when funds allow.

Probably the easiest thing to do if you just want a peep sight is the basic MOJO, in my opinion. It's a straight replacement for the factory sight, adds adjustability, at the cost of no improvement to the sight radius. Krebs makes a nice sight too, but I'd rather have the adjustable MOJO. I used to have these on each of my AKs, but they've been slowly winding up in my parts box, as I swap them out for higher end setups with optics and/or better sight radius. I just have the one set on my beater AK now, out of the 4 I originally bought.

i really like that TWS dogleg set up. Just wish they would have an adjustable sight like the krebs or even something like a hybrid low profile HK sight.

Now i am thinking about moving to the saiga 308 to reduce calibers and ability to reload. Still trying to out way the extra weight of weapon and rounds vs the extra power and distance effectiveness.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.