Gunco Forums banner

Has anyone every used an LM7?

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  F-Troop 
#1 ·
The ATF just approved an AR-15 transfer for me. It is an old SP-1 legally converted before '86 and is fully transferable.

That said, who the heck can afford to feed it? I have seen Lakeside Machine's LM-7 belt fed .22LR upper. The owner once worked for Tippman when they made the 1919A4 mini clone in .22lr. I am a bit excited by the prospect of 100 rd belts of ammo that costs under $20.

I have heard mixed reports about how well they function. Some guys say they jam, others say they run well if you use the right recoil buffer. Others say they are ammo sensitive.

Does anyone in the forum actually know?

Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
F-Troop.

What is the SP-1. Is that the original M-16??
If so it never failed me full auto or semi. Or I should say the improved new version of the original new M-16.

#3 ·
Dennis -- I've had no experience with them so the only thing I can do is point you in a direction.

Richard has done some rim fires. here's the address.

Home

#7 ·
Winn, Richard's work is amazing. His .22lr upper for an M11 is remarkable. He started me thinking about getting one so I could use his upper.

I contacted him but no response yet. He noted that the BATFE was evaluating the upper. It may be a long wait but worth it.

#4 ·
Thanks 4th and Winn.

The SP-1 is the original S/A version that Colt sold to civilians. Nowadays they run less expensive than real M-16's. Mine has the triangular front handguard from the 1960's but the upper does not have the forward assist that we see on everything. I have not fired it yet since my range forbids F/A except for a few subgun meets. The local indoor ranges that permit F/A prohibit rifle caliber centerfire calibers. A buddy sold it to me and claimed that it functioned perfectly.

I hear that the LM-7's are a hoot but even the closest vendor says "You got to have the right springs." That does not inspire confidence since they cost around $1800 new. I was looking for someone with experience who could give the inside scoop.

They are nice looking though. Dang, this hobby makes me stupid. If someone offered me an investment with that kind of evaluation (50/50 functioning) - even before the market problems - I'd reject it. But gee, the idea is great.

Oh yeah, the Tippman miniature 1919's in .22LR run about $30,000.

#5 ·

If someone offered me an investment with that kind of evaluation (50/50 functioning) - even before the market problems - I'd reject it. But gee, the idea is great.
Dennis -- The only way to look at it is from the perspective that traditional investments are worth 50% of a few years ago and guns and ammo are worth 200% more.

At least that's the argument my wife buys!!

#8 ·
Dennis -- he's a one man band and gets too busy to tend to communications at times.

His work is remarkable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.