Gunco Forums banner

SBR laws..

6K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Corbin 
#1 ·
I thought that I read somewhere that the Short Barrel Rifle law DOES NOT apply to any caliber of .22 or less? Is this correct or am I way off?
Or does the barrel need to be 16" and overall length of 26"?
thanks

#7 ·
The Gamo Whisper IS much quieter than other springers and suppressors/moderators and silencers are fair game over in the UK for air/pellet rifles.
The wording states that as LONG as this component is INTEGRAL, fixed and non removeable without damaging the firearm, it is ok(as far as I can tell).
I think this is how Gamo gets around the US laws? But, most of the noise from a "springer" style rifle comes from the rapid release of the spring tension when fired, not hot barrel gasses escaping, so in essence I suppose that they are a gimmick when placed on springer rifles.
Some of the AirForce talon and condor rifles offer them as well-but they are PCP(pre-compressed pneumatic) rifles.
I've shot one before with and without the moderator and there is a HUGE difference!!!!

#8 ·
I've got one of the Whispers. It won't sound all that much quieter if you're the shooter as it sort of redirects the noise back towards you. It is much quieter downrange. I love it... the squirrels don't know where death is coming from (and the neighbors just hears something that sounds like a can of soda being opened).

#22 ·
Interesting on the 1919A4 semi. Not really sure I'd want a shorty barrel on one, but still interesting.

Does anyone know if SBRs and SBSs are legal in MI? I went to an NFA gun trust website and this is what I saw:

Michigan has several laws dealing with the registration, ownership, and possession of firearms that are changing in January 2009. In Michigan you can own the following items that are regulated the the National Firearms Act
Machine Guns
Any Other Weapon (AOW)
Destructive Devices (DD)
Short Barreled Shotguns (SBS) *

Short Barreled Rifles (SBR) *
In Michigan you cannot own the following NFA restricted items.
Silencers
and some AOW's like Tasers or Stun Guns by private citizens whether or not they are class 3 items or the individual has a CCW permit
*SBR & SBS are restricted by the Michigan Compiled laws 750.224b(3) which limits these items to C&R, Collectors items not likely to be used as a weapon but only if the person selling, offering, or possessing the firearm also complies with the Michigan Compiled laws 28.422 (will be amended Jan 2009) and 28.429 ( will be repealed Jan 2009).
I'm not sure if these laws are still in effect, but if they are, it looks like the only SBRs and SBSs we can have in MI have to be C&R eligible.

Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.